Making heat sink

good thing to do is check out waterblocks on the market. swiftech has 2 waterblocks and they show you the internals and everything.

http://www.swiftnets.com/

here is thermaltake's:
waterBlock.jpg

and here are 2 from koolance:
200g-a1_02.jpg

100-a1_02.jpg

you can look at them and think about why the designed theres a certain way.. and then get ideas for yours. get back to me. :blink:

so having stumps of fin like things would help a lot of would curves for the water path do the same???

lol.. yeah, the waterblock is just a small part of a watercooling setup:

peripherals_kit1.gif

kits usually include:
- water pump (fishtank pump will do)
- radiator and fans (hopefully can be mounted on your case.. otherwise it will be on the outside)
- tubing and connectors
- and waterblock :)

the radiator will be what the warm water runs through and gets cooled down by the fans mounted on it.

and your idea of having a pipe to turn the outlet up is fine.

ok cool i am going to make a few ruff things on auto cad i will get back to you later thanks for all the help and i will post what i have soon hopefully tonight

if you're still gonna use your design from up thre, look at this:

pictwo.txt

see the area in the upper left? the water there won't be moving and will just warm up and sit there. it would be better if you put the outlet up there so water continues to move throughout. :)

nice posts taurus :) yer a water cooling freeeeeek as I can see :)

anyways... if you are sure about your design you may want to use something like the mixture that taurus suggested or alternatively something less conductive like glycol... that works very well too...

the quality of the water to me is not that important because regardless of how distilled it is and how pure... soon as the water contacts the surface of anything it becomes contaminated and therefore conductive...

you do need something to help protect the cpu from condensation once you have your setup going... certain greases help...

I suggest you make the connections on the top as well. You'll have to make a lid part anyway.
As for the water you might want to add some alchohol or growth repellant to avoid icky green-brown stuff from growing in your tubes.

thanks, sazar. water-cooling freak? heh, i've never even touched a water-cooling setup. just for some reason i know alot about thermal conductivity and stuff like that. not really sure why.

condensation shouldn't be an issue at all, unless the water is colder than room temperature. which it won't be unless it's refridgerated. otherwise, water won't condense.

even though you're right about the water getting contaminated as soon as it runs through teh system, i still chose distilled water just to minimize the amount of impurities to the least possible...

that also means it's a good idea to run acetone or isopropyl alcohol through the system first for a good hour or so, then drain it, and repeat. after 2 or 3 times, if the drained solvent looks clear through a glass and free from dirt and oils, it's about as clean as it'll get.

if sazar is right about glycol not being very electrically conductive (i don't know), then it might be a good idea instead of water. zedric's idea of something to keep the system clear is also a good idea. though i'm not sure what would clog up the system in the first place? or if it would get clogged with a non-water substance like glycol.

Originally posted by taurus
condensation shouldn't be an issue at all, unless the water is colder than room temperature. which it won't be unless it's refridgerated. otherwise, water won't condense.
I you think about it, it could. If he has the radiator outside the case the room temperature is lower than the case temperature. So a little condensation could occur.

Maybe I'm too picky. It's probably not a problem. :)
zedric's idea of something to keep the system clear is also a good idea. though i'm not sure what would clog up the system in the first place? or if it would get clogged with a non-water substance like glycol.
I was referring to algae (didn't know how to spell it, had to look it up :)). They start growing in the tubes and the reservoar even if you use distilled water. So algae-repellant would be a good idea. Or something else algae-poisonous (glychol?).

algea, eh? hmm... interesting.

canadian, where are those schematics?

Originally posted by taurus
algea, eh? hmm... interesting.

canadian, where are those schematics?

woud'nt it be cool if you had big pipes and cute little fishies swimming inside that ate algae and could sustain temps up to 40c :) tropcial fishies I mean

and have yer reservoir tranparent cept for the radiator :D

now THAT would be a setup that would draw a LOT of attention :)

on a serious note actually my suggestion of using glycol does away with the algae problem amd is a decent solution too... donb't have to worry about freezing or clogging really...

Originally posted by Sazar
woud'nt it be cool if you had big pipes and cute little fishies swimming inside that ate algae and could sustain temps up to 40c :) tropcial fishies I mean

and have yer reservoir tranparent cept for the radiator :D

now THAT would be a setup that would draw a LOT of attention :)
:D LOL :D
imagine this... your friends are over and you're like "hey, guys... check out my new cooling system. i just put it together"... and you turn it on and the fishies are swimming through the tubes happily and your friends are like "oh s--t... that's sweet!"... until the fish swam to the pump and got chewed up... instantly turning the water going out of the pump red... lol, omg. that's a funny visual to me.

wow thanks for all teh help guys, the blueprints are comming along, i am just working on the inside of the CPU cooler, but i ahve the pulp system almost worked out with a little pump in it, ia m also thinking tha i ahve 2 free 5 inch bays in my pc, i am working on putting the water tank and the punp and controles in there, and then a cupple led's to make it look cool. i will post some pictures of the cooler parts soon, thanks for all the help everyone agian

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back