Making cat 5 cables

Bucky Badger

OSNN Addict
Doing my first attempt at cat 5 cables.

Situation, Router is next to the cable modem in the utility room. Running cat 5 from the router to the wall jack
SCP-CAT6-JACK-WH_sm.jpg

Is this going to be a straight cable or a cross over cable? I will use a pre made 6 footer to go from the wall jack to the cpmputer.
Thanks in advance.

Straight-thru. I always wire wall jacks as straight-thru, if you need a crossover just use a crossover cable instead of a straight-thru cable.

Just in case you don't know, crossover is usually for computer-computer.

Straight-thru. I always wire wall jacks as straight-thru, if you need a crossover just use a crossover cable instead of a straight-thru cable.

Just in case you don't know, crossover is usually for computer-computer.

Thanks.
Thats sorta what I thought from the diagrams, but none of them showed diagrams to the wall jack. They had comp to comp and router to comp.

rule of thumb - if its computer to computer - nothing else in between you will need a cross over cable, if its a router, wall socket, patch panel then it will always be a straight through or patch cable as we call hem over here :)

only different between the two is that on one end two of the wires need to be crimped onto different pins - think its 4 and 6 not too sure been such a long time since i had to do any

it the network devices were made in the last 5 years use straight through all the time. The devices will figure out what to do themselves :)

Auto-MDIX makes life easy :)

yeah well if you just moved it it has to boot :p Auto-neg never took more than 5 seconds when I was at Coreix :)

Thanks guys all went well, after I made a fool out of my self because I did not know that the ends had to be crimped before you put them in the jack. I was hoping to try them out before I crimped them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back