Making cat 5 cables

Doing my first attempt at cat 5 cables.

Situation, Router is next to the cable modem in the utility room. Running cat 5 from the router to the wall jack

Is this going to be a straight cable or a cross over cable? I will use a pre made 6 footer to go from the wall jack to the cpmputer.
Thanks in advance.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
Straight-thru. I always wire wall jacks as straight-thru, if you need a crossover just use a crossover cable instead of a straight-thru cable.

Just in case you don't know, crossover is usually for computer-computer.

Straight-thru. I always wire wall jacks as straight-thru, if you need a crossover just use a crossover cable instead of a straight-thru cable.

Just in case you don't know, crossover is usually for computer-computer.
Thanks.
Thats sorta what I thought from the diagrams, but none of them showed diagrams to the wall jack. They had comp to comp and router to comp.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
rule of thumb - if its computer to computer - nothing else in between you will need a cross over cable, if its a router, wall socket, patch panel then it will always be a straight through or patch cable as we call hem over here :)

only different between the two is that on one end two of the wires need to be crimped onto different pins - think its 4 and 6 not too sure been such a long time since i had to do any

it the network devices were made in the last 5 years use straight through all the time. The devices will figure out what to do themselves :)

Auto-MDIX makes life easy :)

Thanks guys all went well, after I made a fool out of my self because I did not know that the ends had to be crimped before you put them in the jack. I was hoping to try them out before I crimped them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut