Makers of iMesh should die...

xsivforce

Prodigal Son
and go to HELL!

@*#! common name bullsh|t!!!!!!! Tried 6 different ways to remiove common name with no luck!

Beware, don't get iMesh.

For Agent and Toolbar variants, the CommonName entry in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs option should work fine. In CommonName/Mib, unfortunately, this just sends you to a page on CommonName's web site, which requires a working Internet Explorer with ActiveX downloads enabled to function.

For CommonName/Toolbar and CommonName/Agent: before being able to delete the CommonName files, you must deregister CNBabe.dll. To do this, open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\CommonName\Toolbar\CNBabe.dll"
(Change the filename above if your Program Files folder is somewhere other than 'C:\Program Files' - for example if you are using a different drive, or a non-English version of Windows.)

Reboot and you should be able to delete the CommonName folder in Program Files. You can use Internet Options->Programs->Reset Web Settings to restore the normal search options.

CommonName/Mib: do not try to uninstall this variant by just deleting the files. It includes a WinSock2 LSP, deletion of which will cause your network connection to die!

The first step to removing the Mib variant is to deregister this LSP. The easiest way I know of is to run the tool LSPFix. Tell it to 'Remove' CNMib.dll (and 'Keep' everything else).

Next, you need to deregister the CNBabe DLL. This is harder than in the other variants as it will constantly try to re-register itself to make it hard to get rid of.

Open the registry (Start->Run->regedit). Close all other windows — in particular there must be no Windows Explorer or IE windows open. Open the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\. Inside this key you must delete the subkey Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} and the value 'Zenet' in the subkey 'Run'. Then reboot immediately.

You should then be able to delete the entire CommonName folder in Program Files. You can use Internet Options->Programs->Reset Web Settings to restore the normal search options. Finally you can clean up by deleting the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CommonName
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Add A Page Note
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Bookmark This Page
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Email This Link
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Search using CommonName
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BabeIE.Helper
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BabeIE.Helper.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BabeIE.AgentIE
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BabeIE.AgentIE.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BabeIE.Handler
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BabeIE.Handler.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6656b666-992f-4d74-8588-8ca69e97d90c}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9346A6BB-1ED0-4174-AFB4-13CD4EC0AA40}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D879D743-E2CC-4161-8034-2234203681C9}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Protocols\Handler\cn
Hope thats of some help... :confused:

Thanks SPeedY_B. That is the same stuff I came across. This "common name" is a b|tch. I made a very hatefull (almost illegeal) e-mail to the makers of "common name". ;) Luckily, I just formatted my machine last week because of the problems I was having. I'll just format again if I can't get it removed.

And thanks lion7718. Might just bang my head soon. ;)

Have you tried slapping it with ad-aware or one of its many alternatives?

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Have you tried slapping it with ad-aware or one of its many alternatives?

Yes, Ad-aware, Pest Patrol and Spybot - Search and Destroy. They all seem to remove then it somehow came back. I may have it gone now.

Spybot seemed to do the trick finally. I am a new fan of Spybot.

BTW, iMesh also comes with Gator and a couple of other dodgy things. I will not be using iMesh again without knowing it is clean.

Link to Spybot if anyone is interested.

Google is your friend, use it wisely :p
Seriously though, my friend was recommending Overnet to me, so I started the download, and left it going. While that was happily downloading I gave google a quick prod for "Overnet spyware" and funnily enough, there were plenty of results. So the download was cancelled.

Obviously its not viable to do this for every app we download ready for installation, but definatly always check P2P apps and other "good, free" software ;)

True. I am usually more careful. However, on the front page of imesh.com, it says...and I quote... "iMesh is Spyware Clean" <-- a blatant lie!

Overnet's Spyware Ucmore search accelerator, or something something, it's optional. :happy:

CommonName is a huge pain. I can't tell you how many computers I've had to fix at my school where students couldn't get on the network because of that piece of crap spyware. I hope it doesn't give you anymore trouble.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back