make WinXP Pro boot faster

D

Driver 7

I just found this tweek 5 min ado and after doing it my system booted in 1 second flat. I highley recomend everyone does it now.
I dont know about any file that will change it other than bootvis, which never worked for me. one guarunteed way to get faster boots, is to change the prefetch options. do this

start > run > type regedit > navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Current control set > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters. change the value in EnablePrefetcher from 3 to 5. reboot and watch the faster speed.

Valid settings for this registry key are

0 disabled
1 application launch prefetch
2 boot prefetch
3 both
a value 5 doesn't exist.

Didn't think this wrong tweak is still around.

if you want to make your system boot faster, just disable EnablePrefetcher

Prefetch is a feature designed to speed up boot and application launch.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/benchmark.mspx

Boot Prefetching
Windows XP speeds up system boot by observing the code and data needed each time the system is booted and prefetching the necessary file contents early in the boot process. This prefetching is not done until the third boot of the system, when sufficient information is available to make the prefetching most effective. The files observed during system boot will be used in the disk layout process mentioned above.

Application-Launch Prefetching
Windows XP also uses prefetching when launching applications. The files and the contents of the files accessed by each new process are observed and recorded. No prefetching can be done for the first launch of an application, so first launches are often considerably slower than subsequent launches. About 85% to 90% of the improvement is realized after just one launch of an application, with the remaining speed improvement coming after the system has had an opportunity to adjust the disk layout with information specific to this application.

some more

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/driver/xp_kernel.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/driver/xp_kernel.mspx

When a Windows XP-based system is booted, data is saved about all logical disk read operations. On later boots, this information is used to pre-fetch these files in parallel with other boot operations. During boot and application launch, a Windows system demands and pages a sizable amount of data in small chunks (4K to 64K), seeking between files, directories, and metadata. The Logical Prefetcher, which is new for Windows XP, brings much of this data into the system cache with efficient asynchronous disk I/Os that minimize seeks. During boot, the logical prefetcher finishes most of the disk I/Os that need to be done for starting the system in parallel to device initialization delays, providing faster boot and logon performance.

Logical prefetching is accomplished by tracing frequently accessed pages in supported scenarios and efficiently bringing them into memory when the scenario is launched again. When a supported scenario is started, the transition page faults from mapped files are traced, recording which page of a file is accessed. When the scenario has completed (either the machine has booted or the application started), the trace is picked up by a user-mode maintenance service, the Task Scheduler. The information in the trace is used to update or create a prefetch-instructions file that specifies which pages from which files should be prefetched at the next launch.

The user-mode service determines which pages to prefetch by looking at how successful prefetching has been for that scenario in the past, and which pages were accessed in the last several launches of the scenario. When the scenario is run again, the kernel opens the prefetch instructions file and asynchronously queues paging I/O for all of the frequently accessed pages. The actual disk I/Os are sorted by the disk drivers to go up the disk once to load all pages that are not already in memory. This minimizes seeks, cuts down on disk time, and increases performance. The kernel also prefetches the file system metadata for the scenario, for example, MFT entries and directory files. Because prefetching is useful only when the required data is not in memory, the applications that are launched frequently are not traced and prefetched each time.

Settings for Logical Prefetch

Registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
RootDirPath - Key Name
Reg_SZ _ Data Type
Prefetch - Value <default>

Value Names:

EnablePrefetcher (DWORD)
0x00000001= application launch prefetching
0x00000002= boot prefetching

Parameters are ANDed, so if all were enabled, the setting would be 0x00000003. The setting takes effect immediately. In Windows Server 2003 editions and later versions, only the boot prefetch is enabled by default. Application prefetch can be enabled by the registry setting cited here. The system boot prefetch file is in the %systemroot%\Prefetch directory. Although these prefetch-readable files can be opened using Notepad, they contain binary data that will not be recognized by Notepad. If you are going to view these file, make them read only or copy them to a different location before opening.

I would think so. Just try for yourself. Every system is different. When testing remember that it will take effect only after the third reboot, not immediately.

i heard 5 is the best setting if you want it to boot fastest. i would try it, but i dont wanna restart right now.
i heard this from (http://www.tweaknews.net) which i guess is a valid site for info.

I`ll try that. Then i can always go back to 3

5 <---------- No such value for Prefecther!

Read the second article I quoted and decide who knows more about Windows XP, www.microsoft.com or www.tweaknews.net.

5 isn't a possible value for this key, it equals 0. This "tweak" has its origin in an error made by totalidea software (TweakXP) and then spreaded all over the net.

Ok ya know what. Just try it. YoYo if you have not tried this then do it now. Changing this value had more of a change than any other tweek I have ever changed. And I have tried them all. But please do not knock this tweak unless you have tried it. Cuz if you have not tried it then you can not give a valued arguement.
I also just tried the on windows server2003 for anyone with that OS. It also booted with the same speed.

i havent done it yet(still downloading something important) but i just wanna know if i should change anything else cause I gots 2 hdds in a raid 0 config

Originally posted by Bronx Bomber
i havent done it yet(still downloading something important) but i just wanna know if i should change anything else cause I gots 2 hdds in a raid 0 config
I do to. This tweak is good for us because bootvis will not work on raid.

Ok, I tried this. The first boot took longer, on the second boot it took even longer, on the third boot - OMG!!! I took sooooo long to boot - 4 times as long. This is not for me. I'm going back to #3 setting.

leaving EnablePrefetcher = 3 can increase applications launch performance, but you will need to delete all the files in c:\windows\prefetch folder if you want to decrease start up time with you reboot.

Originally posted by lynchknot
Ok, I tried this. The first boot took longer, on the second boot it took even longer, on the third boot - OMG!!! I took sooooo long to boot - 4 times as long. This is not for me. I'm going back to #3 setting.
Are you serious. Are you running XP?
This tweek has made main page news at Driver Heaven, Warp2Search and the futuremark forums. Everyone who has tried it has posted good results. I really do not know what it does. I would immagine it enables a boot process that allows you function, gives visual, and then boots the rest of the programs. Just a guess though. And as far as what people know about operating systems, and what sites report about tweeks. There are lots of hidden features that are newly discovered all the time. So keep and open mind.
Either way. It's worth a try. If it does not work for you then you can change it back. If it does then you will be glad you tried it.
And for those that feel the need to debate the issue or bash it. I'm just sharing something hella cool that I discovered. So if you dont believe in it. read another post.

****ty. :eek:
While trying to learn more about this Killer value setting I was informed that basically I'm a nob. I guess what it does is disabled the prefetch which is why the sliding windows bars screen is much shorter. The boot process that follows is then there longer.

Could have fooled me.
Guess it did. At least There are some bigger web sites to blame for making me into noob all over again. So if everyone will now direct there attention to the front of the class we will carry on with the rest of the class.
Everyone who performed this turn to page start > run > type regedit > navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Current control set > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters. change the value in EnablePrefetcher from 5 to 3. reboot and watch your Prefetcher return.
Sorry guys.

:(

You should probally defrag and off line defrag aswell.

driver 7...great post...not many peeps willing to take their lumps.

good on ya...and welcome to our great board...stick around please/ I am sure you will be an asset here

follow yoyo's information whenever you see his user name

I have never seen him wrong in anything he has ever posted

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back