Make programs use the system speaker?

Kronus

OSNN Newbie
I was wondering if there is a way to make msn messenger or anything else that appears in the sound properties use the system speaker instead of playing a wav file through my speakers. I never have my speakers on because I only listen to stuff through my headphones, which means I never hear notifications when I don't have my headphones on.

The system speaker is not an audio speaker. It only sends system sounds and beeps. So, you can't do that.

I thought that windows would send (some) audio to the System speaker if you disabled all sounds. That may only be for error beeps though, not alert beeps/audio.

Reg said:
The system speaker is not an audio speaker. It only sends system sounds and beeps. So, you can't do that.

I know that, I just wanted a beep. I have had other programs that used the system speaker for such things and was wondering If I could have MSN Messenger use it too.

If you were really handy, you could probably add a set of wires from the speaker to the headphone output on the soundcard, should be enough juice from most jacks to get some sound out of the speaker

dreamliner77 said:
If you were really handy, you could probably add a set of wires from the speaker to the headphone output on the soundcard, should be enough juice from most jacks to get some sound out of the speaker

Well, I am really handy and am a total electronics freak, but doing that really wouldn't help me. Thanks anyway.

When I have my headphones on I am at my computer, and the programs I have give me a visual and audio alert. I only need the visual alert when I am on my computer. I want the system speaker to give me the audio alert for when I am not sitting in front of my computer. The audio alert doesn't doesn't help me because I never have my speakers on because I always use my headphones.

For some reason any 'new mail' I get gives me a system speaker beep- guess thats the sort of thing you want. I dont know why mine does that :)

Yeah, that is exactly what I want. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and the same thing happens.

If audio is disabled on your system, Windows will 'system beep' you of system notification, errors, etc., but I am not sure if it would with new email or messages.

But it does and I dont know why it does!
What Im getting at is if I can find out why mine beeps (and I dont really want it to!) then maybe it will help you.

Ok so I got curious about this-cannot find why my outlook recieved mail caused a system beep but did find this shareware http://www.nncron.ru/ which I have had a short look at and reckon you could write a script to get the desired effect- I have messed with it a little and can create system beeps for all sorts of events but not with messenger-so far. If I get anywhere I will let you know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back