Make a bootable SD card?

for some reason i get the feeling you're asking about it due to trying to install an OS onto a computer that has no optical drive such as an Eee PC? If so.... i tried several times, and i find that the process is kinda tedious, and doesn't seem to work very well every time.....

That all depends on why you are trying to make it bootable ...

1) Get an SD card adapter or SD reader that allows it to plug into a USB port then just treat it as a bootable thumb drive. Warning some readers/adapters may not play well with your MB B ios and this trick will not work.

2) The built in reader may or may not allow you to just treat the SD like a thumb drive. You will have to try it and find out for you machine.

If you ned help with doing the bootable thumb drive post back and I'll dig up the links.

The first step is to get a copy of the HP format utility to format the thumb drive as a system device. There are alternative approaches but they are more difficult. HP took the utility off their web site so you have to google for a copy.

I want my SD reader to be a boot option... I have heard somewhere that you can trick the laptop into making it the the SD is really a FDD...

check the bios, for the boot from removable device. if available.

or try

PeToUSB is a Win32 GUI application for formatting and making bootable, USB Flash Memory Drives and USB HardDisks and optionally copying the output from a successful BartPE/WinPE build to the device. There are options to backup/restore the MBR on a device.
http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb

I have the Hp USB TOOL, I uploaded it for you
http://www.mediafire.com/?qmwqzkymqdz

Last edited:
I can boot from a "USB HDD" as it reads but not the actual SD card slot. That HP utility doesn't pickup the SD card when plugged in.

i think it's barely impossible to boot from an sd card reader than with a usb thumbdrive. sorry, Eagle710. consider buying a usb flash drive instead and set the bios to boot from a usb thumbdrive if the bios actually support it.

the most crucial part from booting from usb removable devices is the BIOS support. no bios support, no luck booting from usb flash drives.

I read somewhere that there is a way to emulate a FDD or UFD(USB key) using some software/files.

My system has the option too boot from USB CD-ROM/ USB Floppy/USB SuperDisk/ Notebook Multibay/ Notebook HDD /Network ... what does super disk and that cd-rom/floppy mean?

? superdisk is superdisk - was hailed as a replacement to the old 3.5 inch floppy disks..
CD means booting from a CD drive..
Floppy means booting from a floppy drive..

My question is a USB CD-ROM is a cd-rom drive plugged into a USB port?

Yes, a USB anything is just that device plugged in to a USB port.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back