Mailwasher Pro is now V4.1

L

Lee

M A I L W A S H E R ® P R O C H A N G E L O G

Version 4.1
Released 19th May 2004

New Features:

The ‘<’ and ‘>’ hotkeys now toggle the Learning column options.
Users can set their own global ‘Restore from tray’ hotkey.
Added the ‘Tell-A-Friend’ system into the help menu.
Moving the mouse over the status column now displays a list of the results from Spam Tools that think the email is spam.
Many changes to the Learning system that should correspond to a noticeable increase in effectiveness.
Spam Tools items can be selected by ALT-hotkeys once the Spam Tool window is open
Alt-L Friends list
Alt-A FirstAlert
Alt-B Blacklist
Alt-F Filters
Alt-E Learning
Alt-O Origin of Spam
Alt-W Virus Warnings
Alt-S Spam Cop

Important Changes:

Legitimate evaluation now takes into account the virus settings.
QuickReply system improved.
Improved boot speed.
Emails from AOL that have the XAOL-READ IMAP flag set will not be shown in the list unless the user overrides by using the ‘Show Hidden Emails’ option.
MailWasher Pro now installs into c:\program files\firetrust\mailwasher pro on new installations.
SpamCop reporting now has a ‘From:’ field set.
Increased the number of blacklist entries before warning from 10000 to 20000.
The Trash and Learning corpus files are now stored in rot13+rot5 (encrypted)
format to reduce compatibility problems with some virus scanners.
Added a feature reminder window to the unregistered version, displaying the remaining length of the trial period.
The ‘Preview’ and ‘View complete headers’ menus are now disabled when multiple messages are selected in the grid
The multiple address list now handles multiple addresses where some are substrings of others, eg one@firetrust.com vs. tone@firetrust.com.
Deleted Mail Archive (Trash) is now on by default.
Uninstalling MailWasher Pro will now take users to an optional evaluation questionnaire.
New ‘Limited Feature Edition’ functionality enabled.
Many caption changes and localisation tweaks.

Miscellaneous:

Fixed a bug that caused errors when using drag & drop while emails were loading.
The ‘R’ key can no longer mark legitimate mail for reporting to FirstAlert!.
Statistics are now recording the status for emails that were matched by RBL.
Statistics are now recording whether auto-deleted emails had been auto-bounced.
The New Mail notification now should only happens when an email arrives that is new, visible and legitimate.
Closing the Options window should no longer cause minor column resizing.
Fixed a bug where the Learning system would only evaluate the first 80 characters on each line.
Fixed a bug causing QuickReply to crash under Windows 98.
Cryptic error J877.2 fixed.
Fixed a bug where QuickReply was reporting ‘your filters file is empty’ when it meant to say ‘could not launch email client’.
The Clear button should now grey out when the statistics are cleared.
Fixed a bug where ‘check all accounts’ had ceased to work in some cases.
Fixed a bug where the ‘download more’ button in the preview window would display 0 as the currently downloaded lines.
Fixed a positioning problem on the Spam Tools small button.
Fixed a bug where ‘Assume I’m online’ meant different things in the setup wizard and options form.
The statistics window now remembers whether it was in a maximized state.
Many unglamorous stability fixes.

Download is:

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/nickbolton/mailwasherpro/mailwasher_pro41.exe

/love this program.

by the way, the bounce definitely stopped a few of my eternal spam culprits...they are now never more.

if you have any input with the author, this program needs a hot key for "mark all email for deletion

perris said:
/love this program.

by the way, the bounce definitely stopped a few of my eternal spam culprits...they are now never more.

if you have any input with the author, this program needs a hot key for "mark all email for deletion

Have mailed him already, good idea perris.

Hi Lee
When you click with the right mouse button on one of the collumns in the main window, you can choose "mark all emails for deletion"

Regards Marcus
Firetrust Support

Mail I received for hot key question

thanx for the pm lee

I sent you this;

I know that lee, but that button should have a hot key

at the veryt least, it should be available in the toolbar without a right click

thanx,,,lkeep me informed

The problem with bouncing, or so I have been told, is that if you bounce so many emails back to yahoo (or other free email accounts) that don't really exist, eventually your email address (or even domain) will be blacklisted.

Thats why I don't bouce anymore, I just blackhole em.

Electronic Punk said:
The problem with bouncing, or so I have been told, is that if you bounce so many emails back to yahoo (or other free email accounts) that don't really exist, eventually your email address (or even domain) will be blacklisted.

Thats why I don't bouce anymore, I just blackhole em.

Not to mention it creates even MORE traffic on the net.

Bayesian filtering is the way to go. Thunderbird, Outlook 2003, and a few other mail clients have it built-in. If your email client doesn't have it built-in, you have open-source software like POPfile (http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl) and some others that will work with your existing client.
Rule-based filtering is a thing of the past. Bayesian filtering is an "intelligent" system that learns to recognize junk mail based on what you actually receive, and it has proved to be infinitely more effective (almost greater than 98% accuracy) than traditional rule-based filtering and block-lists.
I highly suggest trying out a Bayesian filtering system if you aren't already.
smile.gif

Mailwasher now uses both, it "learns" spam and you can have it check a number of blacklists.

leedogg said:
Mailwasher now uses both, it "learns" spam and you can have it check a number of blacklists.

Ah, I only used MailWasher back when it was still free. Didn't know they added Bayesian filtering to the new version.

MailWasher® Pro learns and adapts to your personal preferences by letting you teach it the kind of email you want to receive. These intelligent filters use Firetrust's advanced learning filters (Bayesian statistics) to deliver a robust and efficient approach to solving your spam problem!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back