Mail in Windows & Linux

N

Not Bman

I have Thunderbird running and setup with all my mail and Rss accounts. I have it how I want it, working great.

I was wondering, if I try to set these up with in evolution mail (linux) will thunderbird on windows get screwed up, will I only get mail on one and not the other etc etc....

Thanks

Is there a problem with Outlook 2003?

I kid, I kid....

Setup one or the other to 'forward' all incoming mail.

not sure what you mean, or at least how to do it....

my windows Thunderbird, has everything already setup, so do I setup my account with Evolution, or what? or set it up and then change a setting>??>

I guess the only way I can think of Bman, would be to make sure all your email accounts are configured so that your email always remains on the server.

That way, you would be using both applications to simply view the emails on the server.

which dosen't help, in thunderbird I have it set to leave messages on server, but it dosen't work?

Do you know how to make that work, what settings in thunderbird and gmail do I need set to make it stay on server?

Bman™ said:
which dosen't help, in thunderbird I have it set to leave messages on server, but it dosen't work?

Do you know how to make that work, what settings in thunderbird and gmail do I need set to make it stay on server?
GMail doesn't respect the "Leave messages on server" settings, due to the way in which the web interface and POP3 tie in together.

Any other POP3 provider should work fine, the only suggestion I can give for GMail is to use the web interface.

I'd agree with Lord also, using IMAP is so much better for these sort of situations, however GMail doesn't (yet) support it.

so the only way, I can really get things to work in windows & linux, is to just use the gmail internet interface....

I know most people would say to do that in the first place, since that's the whole point of gmail, but hmmm alrighty then

Seems like that's the only answer. You can still use a client, as any mail fetched via a client is simply archived in GMail, so if you needed an old email, you can get it via the web, for checking new mails you can use a client.

Here is what I have done for a similar issue. (this requires a second machine with a shared drive) I have a server with a shared drive that both my Windows and Linux machines mount on boot. I have Thunderbird installed on both Windows and Linux. Under the Thunderbird settings I changed the default Local Folder and Mail folder to point to each of their folders that I created on the shared drive. Now, no matter if I boot into Windows or Linux, both versions of Thunderbird are looking at the same data.

He is trying to use two different clients!

I personally use IMAP, so I have no problems what so even.

SPeedY_B said:
Seems like that's the only answer. You can still use a client, as any mail fetched via a client is simply archived in GMail, so if you needed an old email, you can get it via the web, for checking new mails you can use a client.
\

how is it archived in Gmail, thats what I was trying to make Thunderbird do, but it dosen't.

If I just setup Evolution, will the mail come to evolution only, or thunderbird only, or will some mail go to one, and some mail go to other....

cause I don't know Imap, and I like using thunderbird in windows so...

Ok, MAIL1 and MAIL2 are in your Gmail inbox.

You open Thunderbird, it downloads MAIL1 and MAIL2. These are then "Archived" by GMail, which is the same as opening the web interface, opening the email, and selecting Archive.

You close Thunderbird, and then boot into Linux and open Evolution. Because MAIL1 and MAIL2 have been archived, Evolution will not download them, as there is now nothing in the inbox.

Does that make sense? It's a bit backwards really, and not how a POP server should act, but for most people with a single client, it's fine :)

I know you're asking about Evolution, but if you like thunderbird, why not use it in linux as well? If you are dual booting, you can mount your windows partition & either 1)point your linux thunderbird to your windows thunderbird account folder, or 2)create symlinks in your linux thunderbird account folder that point to your windows one. that would work just the same as having it on a file server.

ruiner_066 said:
I know you're asking about Evolution, but if you like thunderbird, why not use it in linux as well? If you are dual booting, you can mount your windows partition & either 1)point your linux thunderbird to your windows thunderbird account folder, or 2)create symlinks in your linux thunderbird account folder that point to your windows one. that would work just the same as having it on a file server.
That's possible, but bear in mind that the Windows partition would need to be using FAT32 then, since write support for NTFS in Linux is still flaky and not recommended.

Could create a small partition in FAT32 just for storing emails? :D

Or use Portable Thunderbird.

The real problem here, is basically, GMail, and the way in which they handle POP3 access.

hmmm, seems like alot of work for this...I don't think I want to create a fat32 partition within 2 ntfs partition, sounds dangerous....can u even do that..?

I guess without troubles, if I wanted to read emails in both Linux & Windows, just use the web interface and get rid of the clients....

Took awhile to get to that conclusion lol, thanks for all the help again.

NetRyder said:
That's possible, but bear in mind that the Windows partition would need to be using FAT32 then, since write support for NTFS in Linux is still flaky and not recommended.

What if you flip it around. Use Thunderbird in Linux, and save your mail to your Linux partition. Use EXT2 IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/) which allows you to map a drive to your Linux partition, then take your Windows Thunderbird client and point it to your folders on your Linux partition.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back