Mail accounts in Outlook Express

D

dotbatman

Hey there,

I get 5 e-mail accounts with my ISP, but it seems in Outlook Exp that I can use only one per identity, as if it can bind only one account to each server. If I want to use more than one of these accounts, I have to switch identities, which is a minor irritation. Anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks!

what happens when you try to add another account?? Im assuming you are going tools->accounts->add account as in the screenshot. You dont mean that you only have one inbox right?

i use the process exactly as you describe, tools, accounts, etc.

what happens is that it adds the account to the list in the accounts dialogue (see screenshot), but does not add it to the list of accounts in the main app window. I thought maybe because it had the same account name, so I renamed it, but still it doesn't show up. It's as if because it connects to the same server, it will not show it at the same time. I am not sure why, but for some reason it adds my Sympatico ISP account to "local folders" by default, and I am assuming I can have only one "Local Folders".

Of course Hotmail I can add as many as I want, but I am trying to get off of Hotmail if possible before they start charging (yes, apparently they are going to do this).

I am hoping there is something glaringly obvious that I am missing.

Thanks for replying!

I assume you are talking about the pop2 accounts that I see in the screenshot. You can only have one local folder for pop accounts. If you were to add a Yahoo account (or any other account) via pop then it too wouldn't be listed on the side, since the mail from it goes to the same local folder.

It's a crappy setup in my opinion. I think each account should have it's own folder, but we all don't get what we want. :( (well I do sometimes. :D )

Hope this helps you out.

Thank you, yes, it helps assure me that I did not miss something. I also checked with my ISP help page, and they indicate the same thing you are saying, with no explanation. It is not a HUGE deal to switch identities, but I am frustrated in that I cannot think of one possible reason why it would be this way. I checked the Microsoft support pages as well, but no explanation there either. Does anyone know why OE would have to work this way, or should I just grin and bear it?

I am going to try and see if Kmail (KDE) has the same limitation; I would bet it does not.

What about an alternative to Outlook that will run on Windows (not Eudora, please!)?

Thanks again to both of you!

grin and bear it or find another program that is just as good as OE but has the seperate local folders.

i'm probably missing the point but if you want mail from seperate pop accounts to go to different folders then njust create new folders and set up mail filtering rules

GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR!

Right on! even though Outlook stubbornly refuses to let me create an Inbox for the other POP account, it WILL let me check the server for new messages and then redirect them...

Thank you very much!

it's funny though , i created a folder for the redirected messages, but it simply puts them in the Inbox for the existing POP account, which is a-okay with me, except that I want to make sure that if I forward the messages or reply to them, they appear to be coming from the proper account. So far they do, except if I try to forward a message to a Hotmail account...nothing! weird...

Thanks again, you are a gentleman and a scholar...

DAMN!

Too good to be true, at least the way I have it going.

It snafu's my ability to send from either of the POP accounts.

I can receive, reply, or forward, but anything I send disappears into the ether, never to be read by anyone...

How sad...I is stuck with switching identities.

E Mail

Hey try Calypso 3.2, its XP compatible, does everything you want and its FREE!!!!! I think its on Tucows or Download.com Jerry:) :)

don't know what else the probelm could be. i have mulitple pops some from same isp some from different. i set rules up that filter mail vased on the TO: field so mail to different addresses goes to different folders.

When sending it automaticaly puts the person who it was sent to when replying and fowarding, and if new then you can select it from a drop down box in the from field

my mistake!

ya, i goofed one thing, i selected "copy to" rather than "move to" and that was the problem. as soon as I changed it I was able to send and receive as normal. i'm not sure why that would make a diff, maybe it confuses my ISP's server (smtp).

thanks again!

hey jerry, I will definitely check out Calypso. I tried Pegasus and what a nightmare. i couldn't even figure out how to add ANY other accounts than the one set up during install. does Calypso have that drop-down list to choose a "send from"? that is one thing I like about Outlook. also, does it support HTML formatted mail? well, i guess i could just download it and see...

thanks very much everybody.

i LOVE this place!

I love pegasus mail!! i've used it for many years, since i first gone on the internet, it rocks. but when i got Xp i just couldn't be bothered to install it
to add other accounts go tools->extensions->multipop

but i will say it isn't as easy or efficeint at handling multiple pops, but i can do it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back