madmatt_dtop: official help thread

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
This is for all the fans of my desktop.

madmatt_dtop - click to see

This is the run down:

System Launch, My Folders, Program Launch: Simple HTML, JavaScript, ActiveX control
Quick Notes: Simple HTML, VBSCRIPT to save
System Statistics: Provided via CoolMon, displayed using Simple HTML, JavaScript
Weather: Provided via CoolMon and weather.com, displayed using Simple HTML, JavaScript
madmatt .NET login: Simple HTML, PHP, mySQL (stored server side)
Calendar: Simple HTML, JavaScript

I started off with a tutorial for the system launch, program launch, and my folders. Follow the URL below:

program launch tutorial - click here

Make sure you read the disclaimer at the top!

I am sure that's all everyone is interested in, however, I plan on writting a tutorial for the calendar and quick notes soon.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them to this thread and this thread only. I will not respond to emails or private messages.

This is v3 of madmatt_dtop, v4 is in the works.

screen shot as of May 18th

thanks Matt, much appreciated.

I'll post results when I've had a play and come up with something good:cool:

Well done matt. I've heard a few members asking for such a tutorial.

Thank you.

Per request the quick notes tutorial is coming later today. Stay tuned.

For those of you who care...

madmatt_dtop v4.beta is done. inspired by MdSalih's idea, I had to give it a go, and here are the results.

madmatt_dtop v4.beta - click to see

One small glitch remaining, hope to have it solved soon.

As for the qnotes script, that will be released soon. Enjoy.

Great bit of vbscripting for the links section but just a small question.

When you have created the script and placed in c:/windows - it won't run the shortcut. It will run the exe file for the associated program (such as explorer) is this the way that it works - or should it be reading the shortcut?

matt

Matt, none of the links you've posted appear to work???:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by stuy_b
Matt, none of the links you've posted appear to work???:confused: :confused:

the links wont work as you dont have the .vbs script behind the links....

I've been quite inspired by matt's work there.... damn nice ;)

currently playing with it atm... will give you some print screens of my own soon :)

Thanx again to matt for the first sparks :)

MdSalih

MdSalih, I am lovin' it. Great job!

I made a few minor changes this morning, while my INET access was down. I added table borders around the menus.

I'll post the screen in a bit.

Originally posted by amatt
Great bit of vbscripting for the links section but just a small question.

When you have created the script and placed in c:/windows - it won't run the shortcut. It will run the exe file for the associated program (such as explorer) is this the way that it works - or should it be reading the shortcut?

matt

You need two files, named (semi) exactly the same.

1.) The VBS script (ie: explorer.vbs)
2.) A shortcut (ie: explorer or explorer.lnk)

In the VBS script, you want to change the "PROGRAM" to the name of the shortcut (ie: EXPLORER).

Hope this helps.

i can see i'm going to have to get my hands dirty to get this thing looking the way i want it to. :D

Originally posted by madmatt

You need two files, named (semi) exactly the same.

1.) The VBS script (ie: explorer.vbs)
2.) A shortcut (ie: explorer or explorer.lnk)

In the VBS script, you want to change the "PROGRAM" to the name of the shortcut (ie: EXPLORER).

Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I have.

For eg. I have a shortcut named "programfiles" which links to a folder - it works fine when I double click it.
I then have a programfiles.vbs file with the "programfiles" name in it. (all being in c:/windows)

When I run it - it runs but doesn't load the shortcut. (ie no errors)

Weird.

Oh well, I'll have to fiddle one day when I have some extra time - good post though.

matt

copy paste the .vbs here...

should looks something like this:

-------------------------

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "programfiles"
Set oShell = Nothing

-------------------------

save it as a .vbs -> should run ok now... unless you have somekind off f00lish anti virus programme running... norton will pop up a screen asking you what to do if yer running that...

MdSalih

Found out that its my computer.

All my scripts run fine on the two other computers at home - therefore there is something screwed up on mine.

I'm also having probelems with VB6 after I installed Visio so that probably messed something up.

Oh well, not much i can do unless I want to re-install all - and I couldn't be bothered.

Thanks for the help,

matt

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back