Made new PC but slow

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
Hi Guys,
I made a new PC last week but seems to be running very slow.I need some opinions.See the specs.
AMD Sempron 3.0
DDR2 1.50 Gb Memory 400Mhz
Motherboard PC Partner RX480AK7-A69X Socket 754
256 DDR2 PCIe Vid card
Win XP Pro
Software installed:
Microsoft Works / Dreamweaver MX / Photoshop 7 / Google Earth / Excel and Power Points / Firefox - only that.
And connected to a usb printer.
I had built sveral pcs before with all the sofwares plus a few more but with lesser specs - had no problems at all.
The main sore is when open Works and a few tabs on Mozilla , trying to print some documents ., it seems to hog or hang.This will take about 3 -4 mins before it could responds.While printing documents , I cant even open any folder - can ., but will take 2 -3 mins to responds.
What's wrong with it ? :(

You could try posting a HiJackThis log. :)

Yeah Hijack this.
Either that, or your computer isnt that fast.
Whats you vid card?

Vid card Ge Force GT7300....what do you mean by pc not fast ? The spec is much better than the one I'm using now....and this one really has no problem..I 'll try hijack this and will keep on posting..Just a question ...why run Hijack this ?

Most likely you did not get all the drivers installed correctly or the bios settings are incorrect. For office type tasks that you are having speed issues with your new computer should be fast enough.

Most overlooked build items:
- Make sure you have installed the USB 2.0 drivers. They are often a seperate step from the slower USB 1.1 drivers.
- Make sure the bios is autodetecting the HD type and that Device Manager is set to use UDMA access (100 ro 133 whichever your drive supports).
- If using an IDE HD make sure the HD cable is an 80 pin cable (it is stiffer and thinner with twice as many wires.
- Make sure the bios auto detected your RAM speed and CPU speed correctly. Download CPUz (it is free at majorgeeks.com) and check what it says your speeds are set to.
- Printer drivers may not be installed correctly.

What cpu, ram and Version of windows were you running before?

Have you installed XP or Vista on the new computer? If you installed Vista that computer may be too slow to run all of the fancy desktop features.

General Info:
The Sempron does not support dual channel memory access so it will be slower than many older systems that do support dual channel. The Sempron/Socket 754 has a crippled memory controller compared to the other AMD 64 chips.

Thanks LeeJend, no...not for Vista this time.I think I will uninstall and reinstall the drivers as you said.
Previousy was using XP Pro and 1.25Gb 266 Mhz ram
Now thinking of buying a new motherboard and cpu.

If you're not using VISTA the MB and CPU you have should be plenty fast for dekstop tasks. Running the latest games will require you to reduce the video texture settings.

Use CPUz to check what the CPU and memory settings are at. Several members have had their new computers default to wrong settings that were too slow.

Vid card Ge Force GT7300....what do you mean by pc not fast ? The spec is much better than the one I'm using now....and this one really has no problem..I 'll try hijack this and will keep on posting..Just a question ...why run Hijack this ?
By not fast, i mean a sempron...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back