Machine bogs right down when Word opens

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey Guys,

I am baffled by this one. When clicking on word documents, the whole machine bogs right down. I tried the usual spyware, antivirus stuff. Nothing.

Machine is a workstation in an Office. The documents are not located on the fileserver but on the desktop of the workstation itself.

Machine is a Win2000Pro with Office 2000 on it.

I know it's pretty bare description, but at the moment, I don't know what else to describe.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Is it when opening a saved word document, opening up a blank word document, or both?

Both, KC.

I will see if the original CD's are still laying in that office somewhere.

Heeter

Macro virus? I would think that these wouldn't show up in any virus scan/anti-spyware program...

Just a thought

Another thing to do is to try and open Word in safe mode. Go to start, run and type "winword.exe /a" (no quotes)

If this opens fine, it may be something with the Normal.dot or something in the Office Startup

Do you have Norton AV? My work PC lags for a few seconds when I open word because of the antivirus plugin.

Nortons has been removed from this machine, but it was in there at one point.

I will try that KC. Word in safe mode.

Macro virus? how would I check for that?

Thanks for all your responses.

Heeter

Well when you launch Word in Safe Mode, Macros/Plugins don't load.

That's a good starting point, we can see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back