MacBook

~bk

I
Political Access
I've been planning on buying the black MacBook for quite a while now but I put myself on hold as MacWorld was approaching. I was hoping Apple would refresh the whole MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup but didn't really happen. Just needed some general opinion whether I should go ahead with it or wait for a couple of months. Because I'll go buy it as soon as possible. Dang you Apple, always coming out with new products everything 5-6 months or so. I really need it for university and for my graphic design/photography needs. I'm currently stuck with a Sony VAIO desktop with 256MB RAM. I think an update is much needed for me.

Suppose I buy it and the new ones come out near June with better specs and the new trackpad, I'll be :dead:. But sometimes when I think about it, there might not be a major change in terms of processor and memory. And the new trackpad is like not a must either. The current ones still work nicely.

So yeah, I probably sound confused. And it's becaus I am. :p

According to MacRumor's Mac Buyer's Guide, the MacBook was refreshed on 11/1/07 and the average cycle between updates is 199 days -- it's been 81 days so far. Aside from the trackpad gestures, I don't expect any major updates, maybe a slight speed bump.

It's probably safe to say that there will be an updated MacBook by June, so the question is how much do you really want one now or in the near future? Personally I'd probably go ahead and buy one if you're already into your graphic design classes. If they don't start until summer or fall then it might be worth it to hold off for a bit. That help any? :)

Just read this on AppleInsider. :p

The next models to receive the oversized trackpads will be updated 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models due for an introduction in the next several weeks, people familiar with the company's 2008 product roadmap say.

According to those same people, the new notebooks will also be the first from the Cupertino-based company to employ Penryn-based Core 2 Duo mobile process from Intel Corp., which in their most likely form for the MacBook Pro would range in clock frequency from 2.5GHz to 2.6GHz with 6MB of Level 2 cache.

Although the new professional notebooks had been slated for an introduction at or around Macworld Expo, an executive decision was reportedly made late last year to push out the release by several weeks.

Source
Several weeks eh. Don't know how long that would be.

I wouldn't mind getting a 15 inch MacBook Pro either. It was my first choice. It's a bit too expensive right now so I let it slid by and decided on the MacBook. Chances are the new ones are going to be a little cheaper, right?

Still debating with myself...

Also, the thing about MacBook is that it has a glossy screen and I find it kinda irritating. For those who own a MacBook, how's the screen? Is there too much reflection? With the MacBook Pro, you can select either glossy or matte.

Last edited:
Have you already decided on a Mac, or are you still considering other laptops?
On your blog, you mentioned that you want something small and light. There are a few good machines I could suggest that fit the bill, if you're interested.

My eyes are set on a Mac. So yeah, I think I'll be sticking with that. No HP or Dell for me.

I guess I really don't need one for university right now. I don't have any graphic design related courses. I usually take notes on paper in class anyways. I've just been behind a lot of personal art and photography projects that I haven't finished or haven't started due to my desktop being really slow. ¬_¬ And I thought it was time to upgrade -- and buy a laptop.

Also, the thing about MacBook is that it has a glossy screen and I find it kinda irritating. For those who own a MacBook, how's the screen? Is there too much reflection? With the MacBook Pro, you can select either glossy or matte.

I have a 1st-Gen MacBook (White) with the glossy screen. For the most part I like it and prefer it. There are a few situations where I have to adjust the angle of the display to prevent too much glare. It really all depends on the lighting conditions where you expect to be using it most. The only situation where it's almost impossible to use is in direct sunlight. Otherwise you can position it or adjust the angle to prevent the glare from being a distraction.

I doubt the revised MacBook Pro would drop much in price, if at all. But at that point you could probably find a better deal on the current MacBook Pro, so there's something else to consider. I'd also suggest looking at refurbished ones on Apple's website. I'm very big on refurbs because of the savings, and the fact that they are certified and carry the same warranty.

My eyes are set on a Mac. So yeah, I think I'll be sticking with that. No HP or Dell for me.
Cool. I was just curious, because it is actually possible to get many of the features of a MacBook Pro (LED-backlit display, faster CPU, dedicated GPU, etc.) for the same price as a MacBook if you're keeping your options open. :)

But of course, if you're set on OS X, then a MacBook or MacBook Pro it is.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro Santa Rosa with the LED backlit display, and I absolutely love it. It would be nice to have the gesture support as well, but I really don't see what I as a programmer would use it for other than to show it off :p

Get it whenever you want, what you buy today will be outdated tomorrow, such is life with technology.

Cool. I was just curious, because it is actually possible to get many of the features of a MacBook Pro (LED-backlit display, faster CPU, dedicated GPU, etc.) for the same price as a MacBook if you're keeping your options open. :)

But of course, if you're set on OS X, then a MacBook or MacBook Pro it is.

My only concern about a MacBook right now is with its graphics card I guess. From Apple's website, it has:
Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory.
How good is that? I have no knowledge about graphic cards so yeah. I'm just going to be using the laptop for graphics and school work. No games or anything.

Also, has anyone bought the AppleCare Protection Plan? Is it useful?

muzikool said:
There are a few situations where I have to adjust the angle of the display to prevent too much glare. It really all depends on the lighting conditions where you expect to be using it most. The only situation where it's almost impossible to use is in direct sunlight. Otherwise you can position it or adjust the angle to prevent the glare from being a distraction.

Yeah, I guess the glossy screen isn't too bad.

X-Istence said:
Get it whenever you want, what you buy today will be outdated tomorrow, such is life with technology.

That's true.

Last edited:
it'll be enough if you aren't doing games or lots of 3d processing

what if you were going to get one to do office docs and watch HD and x264/aac backups on it (dvds too) while the main pcs were busy, what spec of mac book would you suggest ?

what if you were going to get one to do office docs and watch HD and x264/aac backups on it (dvds too) while the main pcs were busy, what spec of mac book would you suggest ?

Any of them. h264 decoding is done by the CPU. And any of the laptops will be able to handle it without any problems.

I've finalized. I'll most likely be getting one this weekend. Woot. xD

Just one last question. For those of you who have MacBook, did you guys every buy the AppleCare Protection Plan? If so, how is it? If not, then is your guys' MacBook's still running smoothly?

I didn't, only thing thats gone on my old MacBook is the iSight camera, but I hardly ever use it so I've not bothered to take it in to get it fixed. I suspect its just a connection come loose after it slipped off my bed once.

n00b question. Do you guys have any anti-virus / spyware removal softwares on your MacBooks? If so, which ones?

There are far fewer virus' and spyware for Mac OSX but I would look for ratings or information from users such as X-istence for items that can assist just in case.

I think, if you chose not to use one and were secure in your usage, you would most likely be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back