MacBook Air

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Just been announced, I thought MacBook and MacBook Pro sounded odd enough back when they were announced compared to iBook and PowerBook but this is ridiculous. It just sounds silly.

The pictures are quite incredible though

Last edited:
I watched the tour and the thing looks and sounds amazing, except one thing. Remote Disk is stupid. It's a cool technology but pointless and useless. Say your at a friends house and you want to use one of there programs or cds or what not, how you going to do that then? huh HUH!!! lol

Think I'll get a Time Capsule, doubt I'll get an MBA any time soon ;)

Remote Disk is an interesting technology but its hardly new. Most likely it will just create an AFP share of the CD contents.

@Bman: I don't quite get what you mean in your last sentence.

I was just trying to say, if you are at a friends house

and you want to install something, how would you do that? You need to put the cd in that drive you have setup at home. Right? Then there is a problem.

Or you could install Remote Disk on your friends machine. Or they could copy the CD to a USB drive. Or they could setup an FTP. Etc, etc. ;)

Looks like an awesome machine from Apple once again, and out of my price range like the rest of them. :p

@Bman - it says that it works with both Mac and Win [PC = Personal Computer] machines. So you could basically use the CD/DVD drive of whatever machine you wanted after installing the Remote Disc Setup software (found on the supplied Mac OS X Install DVD). I couldn't imagine it being that large either since it's just making a simple share.

The remote disk software will most probably be made available online as well, to facilitate people getting the software.

or you could just keep a slim external optical drive in your laptop bag for such instances. i'm sure that's what a lot of people will do.

myself? i would rather save $400+ (a lot more with a coupon code) and get a Dell XPS M1330. it has stereo speakers, a larger, faster harddrive... and a built-in dvd burner... again, for a lot less money. and it's only .87" thick.

I thought this looked quite cool until I found out that it didn't have a CD/DVD drive! What a waste of time! As Taurus says, I'd rather have a slightly thicker machine that comes with a DVD writer, at half the cost of this Air-Mac. Besides, when you're carrying it about, surely it'll be in a laptop back with the charger, leads, possibly a mouse, etc? What would the point in it being so thin be then?

What happens if you want to rip music to your computer? Not to mention software that is only available on disc. I know you can use another computer to read discs but that would involve having another computer! I only want one :)

Still, when the iPod came out there were much better alternatives that were just a little bit thicker but they never came close to matching the sales of the iPod. Style often prevails over substance in the electronics world. Perhaps Apple are hoping for the same again.

If it weren't for the CD/DVD issue, I'd think this would be a really cool laptop but as it is I would never be bothered with one.

What's the point in that?! Why not just build one in? Man I don't understand Apple sometimes.

Crap name.
Ludicrous price tag.
No performance improvement over the standard MacBook.
No optical drive.
No ethernet port ffs!
One USB port.
No firewire.
No optical/digital audio.
Still using integrated graphics.
No user-changable battery.
Ram not upgradable (To my knowledge).

What the f**k were they thinking?

Crap name.
Ludicrous price tag.
No performance improvement over the standard MacBook.
No optical drive.
No ethernet port ffs!
One USB port.
No firewire.
No optical/digital audio.
Still using integrated graphics.
No user-changable battery.
Ram not upgradable (To my knowledge).

What the f**k were they thinking?

they where thinking like apple, man i hate steve jobs.... hope he dies...:dead:

They were thinking of making an ultra portable laptop and they seem to have succeeded.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back