Mac

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
I've never used a Mac in my life. I've always used either Windows/Linux. I have heard of OSX but I'm not sure whether or not that's legal. Is OSX legal or do I need to own a Mac in order to install it on my Windows PC? :ermm:

By rights, OS X should only be installed on an Apple branded machine, apparently it states this in the EULA.

That said, most people who install OS X onto a run-of-the-mill x86 machine usually pirate the whole OS anyway, and therefore aren't overly bothered about conforming to the EULA. :)

I've never used a Mac in my life. I've always used either Windows/Linux. I have heard of OSX but I'm not sure whether or not that's legal. Is OSX legal or do I need to own a Mac in order to install it on my Windows PC? :ermm:

It is not currently legal to run Mac OSX on non Apple hardware, aside from the hurdles of next to no PC shipping with an EFI motherboard.

I'd recommend just getting a Mac, if you still want Windows or Linux you can either dual boot with BootCamp or use virtualisation.

Thanks for clarifying all the legal stuff SPeedY_B and Geffy. I think I'll just end up getting myself a Mac some time in the future. This is because I want to learn how to develop applications for the iPhone but the iPhone development kit only works on MACs!

The question of legality is up in the air, there is a company known as psystar which is fighting apple in courts because they sell PCs running Apple's OS. The reason its illegal is cause the EULA (End User License Agreement) that you have to approve says you can only install apple os on a mac product. My philosophy on it is if you go out and buy the OS, then its your right to install it on any thing capable of running it. Check out this website it says EVERYTHING you need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes jquintan, go to the Apple store, pick up a copy of Mac OS X and attempt to run it on off the shelf hardware. Let me know when you succeed using the out of the box disk.

The EULA in this case is just as valid as Microsoft's EULA. If you disagree with the EULA that comes with Mac OS X you may take your brand new shiny box to an Apple store and get a refund.

Psystar is selling illegal versions of Mac OS X that have been modified to run on standard off the shelf hardware. Which is essentially copyright infringement, which is one of the many things that Apple is currently suing Psystar for.

Ask a lawyer what your rights are within the EULA and you will find that the legality is not up in the air, it is rather clear and straight forward.

EULA's are unenforcable in Europe as 99% of them require you to open packaging to see them and contain a clause indicating acceptance by opening the packaging. I'm interested in the outcome in US courts however.

It is not currently legal to run Mac OSX on non Apple hardware, aside from the hurdles of next to no PC shipping with an EFI motherboard.

I'd recommend just getting a Mac, if you still want Windows or Linux you can either dual boot with BootCamp or use virtualisation.

OS X86 works fine...read THIS for info on what you have and if its supported and give it a try, wont kill ya!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back