• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MAC whitelisting--am I safe?

I have an unsecured wireless router that is set up with a MAC address whitelist (for my Nintendo DS, of all things).

With MACs whitelisted, am I 100% secure? Is there any (non-ludicrously impossible) way a perfect stranger could borrow my stuff?

If it's setup as you say where only mac addresses on the list are allowed to connect, you're safe, because it will not allow anything else to connect, and when others try, they will get a generic can't connect error.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
Not exactly. You should still setup security. It will encrypt your data, it's easy to determine the MAC address of a connected device and clone it. If you want to be 100% safe then you need to use either WPA or WPA2, WEP is useless.

Thanks! I did a little research based on your suggestions and it makes me want to do some war driving lol...but yeah, I see now that MAC addresses are pretty easy to intercept and spoof.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I have gone wardriving, it is not as glamorous as it sounds. There is an interesting story, maybe I'll share it some time :D.
I have gone driving around just scanning. There are alot of people with wireless and so many of them have hilarious SSIDs. Last time I scanned my neoghbourhood, there had to be at least 40 results.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evaiwhitis