Mac G5 or AMD 64

X-Istence

Political Access
I am wondering, what would you choose, a Mac G5 with dual procs, or a dual AMD 64 setup?

Note, that i dont think any of em is cheaper than the other, than that i love the Mac Cinematics 20" screen, but that is beside the point.

Good question, those apple displays aren't exactly cheap at £1.5k but you can just use yer old CRT with the g5 anyway :D

I'd probably go with the Mac for the operating system, if I'm going to get the same performance from both machines and save no money buying one or the other, then the choice has to come down the the o/s right? So probably the apple :)

The speed and performance would the same, and the price would be about level, if i get a LCD display with both.

i personally really drool at the thought of a Apple cinematic 20" display, as they are so goddamn sweet.

I am just wondering what your opinions are.

I personally also have AMD at the moment, and love it, other than my mobo being ****, its been a good computer.

Originally posted by X-Istence
I am wondering, what would you choose, a Mac G5 with dual procs, or a dual AMD 64 setup?

Note, that i dont think any of em is cheaper than the other, than that i love the Mac Cinematics 20" screen, but that is beside the point.

amd is cheaper courtesy of the fact you don't have all that apple proprietary crap and bogus apple pr

bogus pr guy voiced by gollum...

(we is da fastestest in da world... yes we is even though we tested our top of the line stuff v/s a p4 setup that was crippled and refused to bench it v/s opterons coz we knows we getses our asses handed to us... so we's makes up stuff... but hey... we has perdy monitors :D we is da bestestest )

bleh.. apple... all hype...

I agree that apple are over-hyped, but it's not all hype, I personally absolutely love OS X, and I think that on a 64-Bit platform is where it will truly shine and be as it was supposed to be when the developers dreamed it up.
Of course nothing will ever change the fact that Apple machines are stupidly over-priced and you can usually get an equally performing machine for less, possibly even more than 50% less. I know that if I could buy the 1.6GHz G5 for about £800 I'd ditch my PC without a second thought.. but the price starts at £1500 so it's just not a viable option for me.
For this choice though, of equal pricing and performance from the two machines, if they where just dumped in front of me and I had to choose, It would be the mac :)

Apple. The system, and operating system isn't software, it's art. Expensive art.

-lieb39

I'd be perfectly happy with a mac sat inside a crappy Beige case... Apple need to realise that ;)

I disagree SPeedY_B. I think that there new (or old plan) is to get PC users through many ways, including art. The OS is a art, the case is art, the montior, jeeze, even the keyboard is. For that reason, me and serveal other people I have spoken to, want a mac.

-lieb39

I would love to have a mac ... then I would love to have an amd64 - AMD ROXX !!

Hell with it, i'll take both :)

Yeah well i can only save up for one or the other in a reasonable amount of time.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I agree that apple are over-hyped, but it's not all hype, I personally absolutely love OS X, and I think that on a 64-Bit platform is where it will truly shine and be as it was supposed to be when the developers dreamed it up.
Of course nothing will ever change the fact that Apple machines are stupidly over-priced and you can usually get an equally performing machine for less, possibly even more than 50% less. I know that if I could buy the 1.6GHz G5 for about £800 I'd ditch my PC without a second thought.. but the price starts at £1500 so it's just not a viable option for me.
For this choice though, of equal pricing and performance from the two machines, if they where just dumped in front of me and I had to choose, It would be the mac :)

the o/s is also hype... consider if all ibm compats had the same hardware or some such instead of the tons of stuff we have now... stability would no longer be an issue and windows too would be a work of art...

consider that apple does all its stuff proprietary pretty much.. it makes it that much easier...

i think i'd choose the Mac G5 (dual).
i like its new design and powerful configuration.

Originally posted by Sazar
the o/s is also hype... consider if all ibm compats had the same hardware or some such instead of the tons of stuff we have now... stability would no longer be an issue and windows too would be a work of art...

consider that apple does all its stuff proprietary pretty much.. it makes it that much easier...

I don't care for OS X's stablility, with many apps and a dodgy installation you can get it to crash as much as Windows M.e. (Mac based forums are just as problem filled as any windows forum ;) ) I just like the o/s itself, just as some people prefer Linux over windows/mac os.

Mac G5, since i already have several powerful PCs, and i've always wated to try OSX

JJB

Mac, i've never used an apple but i really want to play with the G5

If you're going to try a mac it needs to at least be for a whole day, or more than just an hour or so.
OS X takes so much getting used to, the one button mouse will do your head in after 5 minutes, but it's all part of learning the operating system, I think it's great, but can't afford a mac (and can't justify the price of one when I can get a decent PC for half the price) as much as I'd like to have one :(

I personally would hook up a USB mouse with 3 buttons, as in OS X you can reprogram the buttons to do whatever. So its not all at a loss, and most apps have support for the right click.

Yup, there are a lot of people out there using their Microsoft optical mice on macs, the mac equivelant of right click is basically CTRL+Click (or was it that clover?).. anyway, its a keyboard press and click, and if you give it a 2 button mouse it will automatically recognise that. It has no problem with more than one button, its just the way its been designed. If you use a mac as your first computer, you may have trouble getting used to 2+ buttons.. same as pc users will miss the extra buttons. It's just what you're used to :)

depends on what the system would be used for...

video editing and photshop type stuff I'd go with mac

anything else i'd say AMD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back