MAC address

S

skydog

Firstly, I hope that this is the correct forum. Now to show how very little I know. My ISP (charter pipeline) left a message on my machine wanting my MAC address. What is it and why would they want it?

Your ISP would never ask for your MAC because that information is available to them when you connect. Do not reply to it. I suggest you disable the messenger service.

START / RUN
type in "services.msc" (without quotes)
Double click on MESSENGER service
Set "Startup Type" to "Disabled"
Then STOP the service or just reboot.

You ISP would never contact you in such a way.

Yes, you posted in the right forum. :)

If you do want to find out your MAC address, go to Start>Run>cmd and type "ipconfig -all" at the prompt.
Look for "Physical address" under your network card, and you'll find an alphanumberic address in the form of XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX. That's your MAC address.

However, if you received the alert in the form of a Messenger Service popup, I highly doubt it's actually from your ISP.

It was on my answering machine. Also on my caller ID. I did re-format and do a system restore yesterday, could it be related?

Well, if you did get a call from Charter, just do what I mentioned in my previous post, and give the MAC address to them on the phone.

Thanks all. I will give it to them. Maybe I was just paranoid. I'm just quite leery of Charter. They're out to get me 'ya know.

The MAC address won't change if you reformat, only if you change the hardware.

Originally posted by Zedric
The MAC address won't change if you reformat, only if you change the hardware.

Right...the MAC address is assigned to your network card. Unless you physically change that, the MAC address isn't going to change.

nothing wrong in giving your MAC address to your ISP. I have optonline and if you use the software to make an account the software they provide you asks for the MAC address and they take the MAC address and keep it with your registration info. nothing bad or wierd is gonna happen.

They called back yesterday. They said they had a new computer system and my info got lost in the shuffle. I just gave it to them. I thought if I didn't that they might raise my bill again. They're good at that.

To find it easier just look on the back of your modem, if you have an external of course .. but then the ISP should tell you how to get it also ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back