Low on virtual memory

S

Shooter1973

For a little while now, I've been receiving a low on virtual memory message when I go to shutdown out of Win XP. I have 196 mb, any suggestions?

ya that's set correct, and still the low virtual memory message.

So if I have 192 mb, you're saying 192 x 1.5 = 288 PLUS 384 = 672 for the initial size?
so INTIAL SIZE = 672
MAXIMUM = ????

Thanks,
What about the Maximum?
Where'd you come up with this?

What you want to do is go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Options and where it says Write Debugging Information change the setting to NONE. Then reboot and you should never see that message again.

As for the above suggestions about changing your pagefile settings, if you have them at 1.5x you'll be fine.

Allans post is a good one...

hardly anyone ever uses the information written in a memory dump...

just so you're informed, if you do have a problem, this information won't be available to evaluate...wwhich hardly anyone can evaluate anyway

if you can resolve your problem by increasing your pf, as catch suggests, no harm there either way...that's probably your best choice

...make sure you defrag the pf with the free pf defrag proggy I posted on the great free programs thread...once you increase the size, the pf will be fragmented, but onc you defrag it, it should never be fragmented again...less you increase the size again

Weird, after Allan's tip i thought for sure it would be better, but still getting it.
Dealer> What page is that program on in that link?

I heard that you should set both to 3X the amount of ram you have. This is so windows does not have to resize the paging file, and thus eat performance.

Flame me if I'm wrong, but it works well for me.

shooter - what's the exact message you are getting please?

shooter...allan will be able to help you best with this problem...try what he gives you;

here is the pf defrag program...excellant

sancho, if the pf wants to expand, it's because the comit charge has reached the comit limit...if this is so, then the pagefile is too small...in other words, if the os wants to expand the pf, your performance will be enhaced, not deminished by allowing it to expand.

it also means your initial minimum is too small, and needs to be increased...but restricting the expansion when the os wants to expand will hinder performance

"your system is low on virtual memory. windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file"

Okay, please take a look at your pagefile settings and see what they say. Then look and see if you actually have a file named pagefile.sys in the root of the drive where the pagefile is set. This could be one of several things, but first lets make sure your system is actually creating the pagefile.

Also, is your pagefile on the boot drive?

you should unhide system folders to get it in your search

windows key+e>tools>folder options>view

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It seems that on some systems XP for some reason does not create the pagefile. I'd suggest trying the following (though it may or may not work):

Change your pagefile settings to NONE on all drives and reboot. Reboot again. Now go in and create a pagefile on the boot drive. Reboot. Now see if there is a pagefile.sys on your c: drive (or whatever your boot drive is). If so, you should be okay now. If not, you may have to do a reinstall.

I've never seen a fix for this other than a reinstallation.

shooter...after you've tried what allan suggests, but before you do a reformat, I'd like you to download coolmon.

Someone in my office also cannot locate the pf, but coolmon says it's there, at the value that we set it to...this is very interesting to me.

he however does not get the low on virtual memory message...anyway, download coolmon, and we'll take a look

allan> i made a pagefile.sys from a txt file is this correct? i did what you said & then reset it to let the system manage it. i'll let you know what happens.

dealer> i installed coolmon, but not sure what i'm looking for.

first, configure your coolmon...if you don't know how, go here

now, put the pf in the monitor

right click the coolmon icon that's in your system tray;

hit displayed items...then in the tree on the left, you should see page total, and page used.

double click on those, and push apply

if you want both of these values on the same line, paste the following in the tree on the right;

page used: <NAME=PageUsed>/PageTotal: <NAME=PageTotal>
now coolmon will demonstrate the pf

we are then going to manually resize your pf, and see if coolmon recognizes the new size you create

shooter - no - you cannot just create a pagefile.sys from a text file. Sorry - I assumed you knew how to enable your pagefile.

Go to System properties - Advanced - Performance - Advanced (again) - Virtual Memory Change button. Then follow the above advice for deleting and creating your pagefile. If you still aren't sure how to do this let me know and I or someone else will walk you through it.

Shooter

It could be a software conflict ???
(Norton Live Update has been known to cause this problem)
try this
Start / Run " MSCONFIG "
Hit the Startup tab
Hit Disable All button
Reboot
If this fixes the problem
go through the startup items and select them one at a time rebooting each time - this should help you to find which program is causing the conflict.
;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back