Low on virtual memory

Good idea TwoZ - but I never heard of a conflict w/Live Update. Can you provide a link to where you've seen that so I can check it out? Thanks.

Thanks TwoZ. The first link may be on to something - though it may be an isolated instance - as I said, never saw it anywhere else. The second link just takes me to a main page so I'm not sure where to go from there.

Still, it's not so much Live Update that's in question but either somthing that it's updating or Norton Internet Security. I just can't imagine how any of this could relate to the pagefile problem shooter is having......of course, I've seen stranger things over the years. ;)

Thanks again TwoZ

Originally posted by allan
I've seen stranger things
:D
Norton just isnt the same under XP

here the second link again

still not working :-(
Basically more of the same
try
Google Search
Low Virtual Memory Maximizing virtual memory norton

Well, I use Norton System Works on all my systems (two are XP) and have no problems. But again, nobody can plan for all the possible permutations & combinations of software and hardware that people can use so on any given system anything is possible.

i think it's norton internet security 2002 that's causing the problem. my friend basically has the same setup as me because i set his up, and had the same problem. when he added another 256mb of ram, his problem went away.

Interesting. Shooter - if you add more ram please let us know what happens? Thanks.

I want to know the reason the pf doesn't show up...I'm hoping we figure this out so that he doesn't have to resort to a work around...though it's a great idea to get more ram regardless...allan, I've never heard of the os not instlling the pf, so ths is intrigueing to me.

shooter, 'm dying to find out if coolmon sees a pf or not...let us know

What I originally thought was, it was one of the windows updates that caused this. I've reformatted probably 4 times over the last 6 months & it seems to return.

Do you know whichupdate does this to you?...it doesn't make alot of sense for an update to continuously do this to you after a reformat.

anyway, install one update at a time, to see which one is the culpret...good luck.

I'm still wondering if a performance monitor sees the pagefile

I was having problems with lagging game play in SOF2, I altered the page file size and that seemed to fix the lagging. Out of curiosity I checked my Hard Drive and I can not find pagefile.sys or anything similar, where can I download coolman so I can check the page file?

I have 512 MB RAM and have never recieved a windows low memory message. I fear that perhaps I dont have a pagefile but the high RAM is good enough so that I don't recieve an error message.

open my computer
hit tools then folder options
hit the view tab
untick hide protected operating system files
& untick do not show hidden files & folders

you should be able to see it now
;-)

That was first thing I did, both are unchecked: so I am seeing system / hidden and protected, still I do not see a Pagefile.sys

Do a search on your system for pagefile.sys

Put a check in Advanced Options and enable searching System Folders, Hidden Files, and sub-folders.

Ah, thats better, advanced search found it. Strangely it does not show up when I visit that folder, even with show hidden / system / protected files. But search showed it does exist.

In Explorer - View you should also remove the check from Hide Operating System Files.

i added another 256mb to the 192mb ram & the message went away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back