Low on Virtual Memory Message

K

KMA

I have read all the posts I can find about getting Low on Virtual Memory Message on shut down.
I have tweaked everything that was said...but I still get it.
I even jacked the V memory to 500mb... still get it.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?

I get the message 8 out of 10 times shutting down.

Oh... and even when I don't get the message...shut down is very slow now.

How would I track that and see what is dogging it down.
It used to shut down like a burned out light bulb...PHOOF and it's off... Now it thinks for some time and then shuts down.

AMD Athalon 1.67mhz
256 ram
Win XP PRO

Ps... I have 65 GIG FREE on my 80 gig drive and I defrag every other day.

Please help.

KMA

I had the same problem I traced it to Norton Antivirus 2002 hogging the system now I just disable it before switching off.It is most definately a third party app causing this message

Hmmm? I have NAV2002 running - even before shutting down. Maybe it takes a bit longer to shut down, but I've never got that Low on Virtual Mem message !

A friend of mine is runnning NAV2001 + Zonealarm on Win98SE - 2 out of 3 times his comp hangs (freezes) when shutting down... But no Low Mem messages !!

Maybe it's because you run your Athlon at 1.67Mhz ;)

j/k!

Specs:
Tualatin 1.2 Ghz
768MB Ram (+ 768MB pagefile)
40 Gig HDD
WinXP Pro

I might have beat the monster....
I reinstalled win XP Pro... updated.... and it seems ok for now.
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

Nope...still the same...but it does not seem so often.

Anyone have any ideas.

I did follow that one link to microsoft...but I could not find the reg entry?

I guess i'll just live with it for now.

Matt.

i heard about a very similar problem yesterday but it was happening on NT systems. DO you have any screen saver stuff running in the background? Like the ones that allow you to get the new screen saver or background of the day? THis is what seems to be causing the problems on the NT machines.

Thanks for the info...I did have the plus fish thing...and i had the extra fish for it...and I did have problems with it before.
It was not turned on for some time...but I uninstalled it to be safe.

I'll keep you posted.

How is Mich... I miss it.
I moved 2 years ago to the netherlands.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back