LOTR:TT - Extended for the sake of it? *possible commentary Spoilers*

Renegade_Chris

A Very Confused Bunny
Okay ..... settle in for this one ..... but bear with me

Having just shelled out for the EE Two Towers .... I have been working my way thru all the special features ... of which there are LOADS.

But having listened to the commentaries on the movie ... something has occured to me that doesn't sit well.

Peter Jackson, and also a few of the other bods on the other commentaries, usually point out these extra scenes that have been added to the Theatrical cut of the movie. On a good half of these scenes, they mention that the stuff was shot on a pick-up shoot after all of the main work of principal photography has been done.

In fact, they make great pains to point out how good the editing and digital grading is by pointing out that this pickup stuff was shot a good 2 years after the principal shoot. The more I listen to the commentaries, the more they keep pointing this out in reference to the extended scenes.

Call me an old cynic (and believe me most people do), but could you possibly suppose that some of this stuff was shot specifically to be put in the extended version of the film?

Think about it ... all the principal stuff has been shot, which means that one of the first things you will do is splice this stuff together in order to make sure you have all the things you need to tell your story. Once you have worked out what scenes and shots are missing, you can then plan a pick-up shoot.

Why would you pick up all these scenes only to then cut them out immediately once you have filmed them. To me it doesn't make sense. Unless you never planned to put them in the theatrical cut, but instead film expansion of scenes you never planned to do in order you give u enuff material for an extended cut.

After all .... the FOTR extended edition was very popular ... What if you found after u finished shooting u didn't have enuff scenes spare to make a TT extended cut?

I'm not saying the extra scenes arent any good, and they do add to the film as a whole ... I'm just wondering if the scenes were made with the Extended edition in mind.

What does everyone think?

maybe. Why not? Theatre cuts are limited by time so even if they wanted to add them, they might not have been able to. Maybe they wanted to add more value to the dvd editions so that people would go out and buy them. Unlike the music industry, I feel like I'm really getting my bang for the buck in a dvd. I would be even more pleased if they went out of their way to add these extra scenes for the dvds.

I agree.

What other media can u get 24 hours worth of entertainment for 20 quid. It's just having recently listened to the commentaries, it's just something they talked about that stood out for me.

And I would say all apart from one scene was worth the addition.

In fact ... consideing the success of these DVDs, maybe it will tempt more directors to create extra scenes purely for DVD, since as you say u are limited in theatre releases because the cinemas wanna get as many showings in as possible.

it is possible but @ the same time the new scenes flow seamlessly with the movie...

the only ones that I would think are not would be the merry and pippin scene (claiming to be taller than the other and what not) and a little more gimli mockery while in Fangorn forest after finding gandalf...

overall I am very pleased with the product...

a lot of times directors have to cut scenes out that they deem to have less relevance and less flow than others due to time constraints...

understand that LOTR: TTT is over 3 hrs.. therefore I am sure there are many other scenes besides these that we have seen that were left on the editing floor...

Originally posted by Leedogg
Unlike the music industry, I feel like I'm really getting my bang for the buck in a dvd.

Excellent thought! I feel the same way, especially with surround sound. What if they started releasing music CDs (or DVDs) in 5.1/6.1 surround, had some videos of the band at recording sessions and concerts, and a few interviews? Couldn't hurt...

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Excellent thought! I feel the same way, especially with surround sound. What if they started releasing music CDs (or DVDs) in 5.1/6.1 surround, had some videos of the band at recording sessions and concerts, and a few interviews? Couldn't hurt...

all that plus the mtv videos of each song, any documentaries or tours, professional cuts of live recordings of tours, biographies of each of the singers... so many possibilities...

I mean when I think of spending $20 for a cd my immediate following thought is well sh*t for 20 bucks I can get a dvd...

Originally posted by Leedogg
Unlike the music industry, I feel like I'm really getting my bang for the buck in a dvd.

I guess you will be buying the new alien quadrology.
Extended versions of all 4 films

(I have never seen extra scenes for the last 2.)

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
I guess you will be buying the new alien quadrology.
Extended versions of all 4 films

(I have never seen extra scenes for the last 2.)

the last 2 sucked though...

the brilliance from the first 2 was unfortunately milked dry by the last two...

1) No i don't think so Chris :) i believe they mention several shots in the theatrical release what where done as pickups

2) I have all 4 Alien films. I like all 4 Alien Films. I am getting (winging its way as we speak) the new boxset

let me know whats new in 3 and 4 mate.
I liked 3.
4 was ****e.

Ya know they paid Sigourney Weaver an extra million ta shave her head for No.3. And the role of Ripley was originally planned for Veronica Cartwright.

thats nothing... weight watchers is offering Renée Zellweger $3 milion to lose the weight she is being paid $20 million to gain for bridget jones' diary II...

:eek:

Abd yesterday I paid £5 to get fatter.
Was a damn good burger tho.

did you take pictures of it ?

for education purposes only of course...

Was it a triple decker, with cheese and bacon?
RenegadeChris knows what i mean....Mmmmm arteries closing :)

Originally posted by Khayman
Was it a triple decker, with cheese and bacon?
RenegadeChris knows what i mean....Mmmmm arteries closing :)

Ohhh yeah! And extra cheese on the chips too

Man that was the best 7 quid I ever spent on a burger!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back