Lost Network Connection

F

fvlmasl2

Good Morning All

When i turned my PC on last night(Host) i got the message in the task bar "network cable unplugged" i normally get this if my client pc is not turned on. This time in the task bar of the host i got 2 pc's with an X through them, this had not happened before. I turned on my client pc, and the 2 pc's with the X in my host pc's task bar were still there. Changed out nic card, no change. I tried to do a network repair, no luck. The network connection under control panal on the host side - work with network connections shows an X through that also. HELP....... I also physically removed the nic card and all the adapters (attachment) are still there. In addition, i cannot install the nic card. After i put the nic card back into the computer, i never get the new hardware found message and the nic card does not show up under device manager. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks
-fvlmasl2

P4 - 1.6A Stock HSF
P4T-E (1005)
Artic Silver III
Samsung 256M
Win XP Pro
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Creative Flash56 Modem Blaster
VisionTek Ti200 64M DDR
LinkSys NIC(2) and client
Maxtor 60G ATA133 7200RPM
Toshiba 16X DVD-Rom
HP cd12ri (12x10x32)
HP 832C Inkjet
UMAX 3400 Scanner (USB)
Logitech WebCam Pro (USB)
Microsoft Explorer Optical Mouse (USB)
Network = Crossover Cable

you tried a diff network cable.

Also goto Control Panel and tell it to search for new hardware (Add New Hardware)

I cant think of anything else at the moment.

You could also try System Restore. Maybe!

Are u really running a WAN cause a WAN is big, and the way i see on ur device manager ur running a WAN.

WAN is telling the computer your running more then one LAN's

I have done the control panel - search for new hardware. No go, did not see the nic card. I have 1 nic card in the host/server and 1 nic in client. No, i am not running a WAN i just have 2 pc's sharing files, folders and ICS. Using a crossover cable. Nothing really that complex. WinXP on both pc's. Have not tried a new cable.

Thanks
-fvlmasl2

then why is ur BOX saying that u have a lan. humm rememver all your network compoents, then try and reinstall it. once it has been removed, then do a manual search and manual install of ur nic card driver.
oh and remove all your network protocol's this will remove all your bad connections and start u from scratch. remove evertything then install your nic then network protocal's

then why is ur BOX saying that u have a ***lan*** WAN

that should work try doing that, cause i had very similar problems when i was recieveing errors like that, i did have WAN drivers install but no WAN was here, just LAN, if they wont remove, go into safe mode and that should revome from their. tell me how it works out

Oops.. one more thing. Where would i remove network protocols under XP.

Thanks again,

-fvlmasl2

double click on that lil computer in the corner in the tool bar.
then goto properties
now your borught to the protocol section. add then remove away.
this option should be in Generals tab.
heres another way.
Start > Settings > Network Connections > right click on that computers u should see their and goto properties in general tab.
Heres another way.
Start > Settings > Control Pad > Find network connections > right click on it > goto properties then general tab and add and remove away =)
tell me how it goes

Well, this is what i found....In XP Pro or 2000 if you go to device manager under view - show hidden devices, you will see most if not all of the WAN entries i attached in my earlier post. The problem just seems the the nic card is not being detected. This is what i have tried. I changed pci slots and at first it was detected, i put it back in the original slot(where it all started) and it was no longer detected. Removed it and put it in a different slot again and it was not detected. So, you would think the nic card is flakey. But when i do a PING LOOPBACK it all tests ok. I will try a brand new nic card and take it from there.

Ok...here is the scoop, i installed a new nic card, and it seems to be ok. I can see the other computers on the network. Have not tried ICS yet. But now the "network unplugged" message flashes all the time. Even though the message pops up, my connection seems to be ok. It did not flash this often before.
Ideas?

Thanks
-fvlmasl2

Anyone? I've checked everything that i know. I need to check those things that i don't know.

Thanks
-fvlmasl2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back