lost network after graphics update

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
I just updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest set and since the update my network is totally wiped out.

To beging the process I uninstalled the old driver and was very careful to remove only display drivers as I have Nvidia drivers for network adapters etc.

When I rebooted I have no connectivity and cannot even repair the connection as I get the message that "IP address cannot be assigned".

Worse still system restore will not restore ot any of the three points I have today or the checkpoints over the last few days either.

Any ideas on a way forward?

remove all the drivers and reinstall them, just incase you weren't as careful as you think

Worse still system restore will not restore ot any of the three points I have today or the checkpoints over the last few days either.

What anti-virus do you have?

Kaspersky will cause restores to fail if Self-Defense is turned on.

Setting > Service > untick Enable Self-Defense

As far as the drivers the uninstaller may have removed the other drivers too even though it should not. Have you tried reinstalling the latest Nforce package again?

I tried reinstalling the nforce but it didn't work. Actually it crashed towards the end during the network manager installation (twice).

AV is Norton 2007

No but I don't think it's worht worrying about it as one thing I tried (toggle the restore function) and restarting the computer seemed to delete all previous restore points :(

I guess I am doomed to failure and reformat. Hence thread re. Vista.

You have to watch nvidia since when you uninstall it in add/remove it uninstalls all nvidia drivers including your chipset and network drivers if you have those installed as well. You have to choose the option to pick what drivers to remove. I did this a few times before I caught on to what was happening.

You have to watch nvidia since when you uninstall it in add/remove it uninstalls all nvidia drivers including your chipset and network drivers if you have those installed as well. You have to choose the option to pick what drivers to remove. I did this a few times before I caught on to what was happening.

Is there anyway to reverse this i.e. to reload the drivers?

Restore is not working.

You should have then on the disk that came with your PC/motherboard. I don't use system restore because it doesn't work.

You should have then on the disk that came with your PC/motherboard. I don't use system restore because it doesn't work.

Well eventually there was a happy ending but this is what happened:

Tried to repair windows from XPP disk: It wanted a floppy disk I didn't have!

Tried to reinstall and then select repair current installation: Completed but no effect.

Reinstalled drivers from MOBO disk: No effect.

Reinstalled XP fully: No effect and not a new install, came up with the same desktop etc.

Attempted to reinstall nForce drivers from download: no effect

Reinstalled XP from disk: install crashed - by this time I was really worried!

Reinstalled XP from disk: asked from a CD called "SRCDISC" which I didn't have, aborted install.

Uninstalled nForce drivers & rebooted: Machine would not boot up!!

Attempted several "safe" recoveries: Mouse would never work so I couldn't select a profile.

<looked at new MOBOS on internet...>

Reinstalled XPP from CD "over" old version: worked although still the same desktop and software.

Reinstalled nForce from downloaded software: worked.

Comuter now like nothing ever happened!

Utterly Bizarre! :dead:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back