Lost icon in My Computer window

M

MilanSt

All user on my XP exept administrator have lost My Documents icon i My Computer window. The directory is working fine, only icon is missing from My Computer. Icons that are visible in My Computer are Shared Documents and harddrive icons.
What should I do to make the icon reapear?
Ìèëàí

the "to show/hide 'My documents' on the desktop" option can be set when you go to the control-panel/display/desktop under customize desktop you can set/hide 'My documents' :)

If this option is greyed out and your computers are on a domain:
somebody has tweaked the group-policy :(
How to change this depends on what kind of domain you are on (w2k / nt4)

Hope this is helpfull

Gert-Jan

Problem is not the icon on the desktop. That works fine.
Problem is that I do not see My Documents icon when I open My Computer. There are three rows of icons:
- Files Stored on This Computer
- Hard Disk Drives
- Devices with Removable Storage

The first row used to have two icon: Shared Documents and My Documents but now there is only Shared Documents icon.
That is the problem.:(

Here is the fix.

WORKAROUND
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem if the computer is already in this state, manually add the registry entries. To do so, use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

Add the following registry value, and then quit Registry Editor:
Value name: user name
Data type: REG_SZ
Value data: user profile\My Documents

Replace the user name and user profile environment variables with the literal values for each user who logs on to the computer.

NOTE: In each user's My Documents folder and subfolders, open the Desktop.ini files and modify the Owner value under the "DeleteOnCopy" section to match the user name.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back