Lost File

N

Not Bman

Wasen't sure if this is the right place to post but here it goes....

I was having freezing problems in one folder. So I kept deleting files within that folder to figure out what the problem was. I found out which one it was. I then tryed to restore the rest of the good files but I now can't seem to find one of them. I can't seem to fine a video file I deleted. I didn't empty the recycle bin.

Where has it gone. I also did a search for it.

You could download google desktop or windows desktop search :D. If it was on another drive other than C:(or system drive) it will be stored in a recyclers folder. Im not sure how to view it. But whatever you do dont run CCleaner or diskclean up, they clean them out

When you were deleting files and sending to the recycle bin if you went over the maximum storage percentage then anything after that would be deleted and not sent to the recycle bin.

Something else that can happen is if an individual file was larger then the percentage set on the recycle bin it would just be deleted and not sent to the recycle bin.

American Zombie said:
When you were deleting files and sending to the recycle bin if you went over the maximum storage percentage then anything after that would be deleted and not sent to the recycle bin.

Something else that can happen is if an individual file was larger then the percentage set on the recycle bin it would just be deleted and not sent to the recycle bin.

I agree, and that is also more than likely the solution. Only bummer to that is you don't get any types of warnings if your recylce bin is "full", it just kicks out the older files making room for the new ones. If you have never changed the setting, the default allocation for the recycle bin I believe is 10%, so do the math...

That all makes sense, but the files I deleted and the file that is missing was not over the limit. That's what I don't get. How can something just disappear?

Bman™ said:
That all makes sense, but the files I deleted and the file that is missing was not over the limit. That's what I don't get. How can something just disappear?

Only other thing I can think of is if you pushed Ctrl+Delete as that would bypass the recycle bin.

I really don't think I did, but it's no where to be found. Damb!!

I find that when I delete a file the recycle bin icon says its full but when I browse the bin theres nothing.

Now you know the problem file what about using system restore to get the video file back? Then delete the problem file again.

Almost forgot I don’t know where it went either?

Damb, that would be perfect. Wait, does System Restore remove new programs and such? I forget.

Anything installed after the restore point will either be gone or the folder may be there but the program will not work.

The program will be in a non working condition as registry entries will be missing or certain files like dll's that need to be registered will not be.

damb, that sucks. Well thanks for all the help. I know that will work if I descide to do it.

Thanks

what kinda video file are we talking about? Did you delete a movie or a driver?
If it's a driver, you should just be able to download that. No need for system restore. If it's a watchable video you're talking about, I don't think system restore would restore it.

tzepp@cox.net said:
If it's a watchable video you're talking about, I don't think system restore would restore it.

Bman The above is right system restore will not get the file back (I was wrong) I had to go look after reading this and found this on microsoft.

"System Restore monitors only a core set of specified system and application file types (e.g. .exe, .dll etc), while Backup Utility typically backs up all files including users personal data files, ensuring a safe copy stored either on the local disk or to another medium. System Restore does not monitor changes to or recover users' personal data files such as documents, graphics, e-mail, and so on. While system data contained in System Restore's restore points are available to restore to for only a limited period (restore points older than 90 days are deleted by default), backups made by the Backup Utility can be recovered at any time."

What version of Windows are you using and what's your file system? The data is not "gone" there's a possibility of recovery. I'm currently looking for any sort of data recovery utility for FAT32 and NTFS file systems, you may want to look for one yourself.

When you delete something you only remove the file location from the FAT table, the binary data is still written as long as nothing new is written to that physical area of the disk. There are several free utilities for file recover on Linux based file systems, but I haven't used any for Windows.

A few links for you:
http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

I am not familiar with any of this software, so I can't exactly recommend it. However from the brief reading I did on those sites they should be able to do what you want. Look into it and keep me posted.

I'm not sure on your level of experience but you could attempt to use a Hex editor to manually extract the data you're looking for.

Last edited:
Restorer 2000 has fat32 and ntfs undelete tools

Diskeeper software (formerly executive) have undelete as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back