Looking to Buy BluRay Player

segamil

OSNN Addict
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't buy a Sony PS3 to play BluRay movies, especially when the price for a standalone player is about the same or in many cases more?

Unless there is some can't-live-without feature on any other player you're looking at, the PS3 is far and away the best, plus any feature it MIGHT be missing is more than made up for in the number of other features it provides.

I realize your post is to tell you why you "shouldn't" buy one. but I am here to tell you that the smart choice is to buy one. :)

Read this article

Its an all around full Media Center, besides a Blu-Ray player. you can upgrade the HD.
you can throw Linux on it. turn it into a DVR. the future possibilities are endless for the PS3. and bottom line,, its plays games!!!

Yes I am a Playstation fanboy, but I speak Facts here.

to add this should give you even more info on PS3 as a blu-ray player

Thanks a bunch to Petros and tdinc... That's exactly what I needed to hear. I just couldn't figure out why someone would get a dedicated player for more money when the PS3 can do the same and then some. I have a 52" 1080p Samsung LCD which I have been dying to pair up with a high def player. OK, anything else I need to know before I order a PS3?

See if you can get a 120Hz TV. Go look at one at best buy or something. It is freaking AMAZING, but you have to see it to know what it's like.

I would recommend not only 120Hz, but a low (4ms) response time.

Or.... here's a different option (and one that i just opted for not long ago). Seeing as your computer seems to be up to spec, although i'm not sure about the video card... whether it's HDCP compliant or not...... you could always get a BluRay drive for your PC for $130.

See if you can get a 120Hz TV. Go look at one at best buy or something. It is freaking AMAZING, but you have to see it to know what it's like.

going out and spending a couple of grand for a new TV when he already owns a 1080p is a bit steep? The difference is barley apparent. Unless you have some extra cash just lying around you will be fine with your 52" Samsung.

The difference IS apparent :)

The 120Hz removes a lot of blurring. Now, in many scenes, I think it makes it look too "clean" but some people prefer that.

The difference IS apparent :)

The 120Hz removes a lot of blurring. Now, in many scenes, I think it makes it look too "clean" but some people prefer that.
3:2 pulldown has bugged the crap out of me ever since I started playing PC games at smooth framerates. I didn't even know what it was or had a name for it until the first time I looked at a 120Hz TV and did some research. It's made me something of a junior videophile!

Edit: Check this out for a tiny demo of how interpolation works. Actually, the feature is ALREADY available to PCs through WinDVD!

Last edited:
I just threw a blu-ray HD=DVD reader in my PC. Threw anydvd-hd at that and have powerDVD ultra and windvd sitting on top of that :)

Works a dream, is a media centre, can have linux, can be a DVR, Plays games..... need I go on? Lots cheaper than a PS3 :D

I just threw a blu-ray HD=DVD reader in my PC. Threw anydvd-hd at that and have powerDVD ultra and windvd sitting on top of that :)

Works a dream, is a media centre, can have linux, can be a DVR, Plays games..... need I go on? Lots cheaper than a PS3 :D

How much does your total computer cost?

i think you'll find he means adding the drive to an existing system is cheaper than getting a £450/500 ps3, which is true, bluray drives and powerdvd would set you back less than a ps3 (currently)

Yeah, I was talking adding on to an existing system. If you had to go and buy all new, I'd get a ps3...

LA: you mean like how i just recently did.... and mentioned in my last post? lol.

Yeah... it is quite a bit cheaper if you've already got a pretty good PC, but you also gotta make sure you've got a HDCP compatible monitor and video card, which is one thing i wasn't sure of about the OP's setup, since i'm not sure about the 7600GT supporting HDCP.

i think you'll find he means adding the drive to an existing system is cheaper than getting a £450/500 ps3, which is true, bluray drives and powerdvd would set you back less than a ps3 (currently)

Well, considering the OP is asking of PS3 v/s standalone systems, I am therefore looking at the entire system lord listed as a standalone system and the price of a ps3 will always be less for a better player with more hardware capabilities.

Thanks all! I have decided to buy the PS3. As for my PC, you guys are absolutely right - the weakest link is my video card. I plan to replace that at some point, but since I don't play a lot of games, the vid card upgrade has been fairly low on my list of priorities. If I were to get one this summer, what do you guys recommend? About the most graphic intensive thing I do is when I compile high-res photos for slide show DVD's. I would also like a card that I could use to output directly to my HDTV via HDMI. Any suggestions there?

I will buy a PS3 as soon as I got the money because I prefer a PS3 over a X360.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back