Looking to buy a Laptop

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I will be graduating from college in about 4 months and for my graduation gift my mom wants to buy me a Laptop. I know there are some people here who either work at/with or are some way affiliated with Dell. I am just looking for some opinions on Dell laptops, or alternatives. I will primarily be using the laptop for a mobile workstation (graphics, video editing, 3d work) so it needs to be semi beefy, primarily in the CPU department, but I dont need heavy GPU power.

Right now I am leaning toward the Dell XPS line laptops since they seem to be the most affordable. I am also looking at the Dell Precision M65 system. Budget is around 2,000 so I have a lot of options, but once again its not for about 4 months or so till I will make the purchase.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
What kind of things are you looking for mainly?

i.e. size/weight/feature set?

There will be a couple of updates in the notebooks within 4 months since Merom will be available by then (the core 2 processor for notebooks) and this will enable better performance.

I personally like the 1210M since it's light and relatively powerful. I prefer the small and lights myself.

That or the latitude D620 (630 by then I believe) or the D820 (830 within 4 months, IIRC) will be your larger brethren options.

They are all designed a little better than the inspiron lineup due to the quality of components (metal alloys used in chassis and so on/so forth).

The latter 2 are 14" widescreen and 15.4" widescreen compared to the 12" widescreen of the XPS 1210.

Ok, well when it comes to size I am looking for a mid size laptop. I dont mind lugging around a little bit of weight, but I want to avoid one of those 15-20lbs beasts.

Feature wise, I really want a system with 2GB ram, Dual Core and a decent 7200rpm hard-drive but I dont need a heavy duty GPU. On crusing the Dell site it seems its hard to get the balance that I am looking for since they assume that if you want a decent sized laptop you want a high end GPU as well. Their just arnt enough options.

Also, I wish I could buy a system without any RAM.. since Dell charges an awful lot for ram. I can get 2GB DDR2 corsair Value ram for around $160-180. Just for the upgrade from 1GB - 2GB at Dell is close to 200$ alone.

Basically like I said in my first post I am looking for a system I can use as a semi workstation replacment. Mostly at the office since I dont have the best system at work. I do a lot of graphic design & 3D work, thus the heavy CPU and Ram desires.

Thanks for the heads up on new models coming out, I will keep an eye out for them.

You can definitely customize Aprox.

In 4 months time when you are looking for your solution, keep an eye on expanded options because by then the new chipsets will be in wide availability.

I realize I can customize, but are the options more limited on the website than they would be if I called or something? It seems their are usually only 1 to 2 GPU's available for each model. But if you go to the Workstation line (ie. M65) they only offer the Quadro mobile GPU. Which one of these would be nice, its complete overkill for what I need. I could get away with a 128MB card (256 would probably be close to the same price though) and cards assosiated with that performance level.

Ok, How about coupons and such? I know dell runs offers all the time, is there a good place to look for these coupons? Or is it one of those things that if you are meant to know than you will know?

Depends on the line you are looking at.

Dell is going to run promo's changes less frequently and reduce the frequency of the coupons and such while concentrating on more consistent/low pricing.

I don't have visibility on all the promotions and packages though, I don't work in sales.

I would definitely advise calling into the EPP segment (which you are entitled to) and checking against a pre-made package you have already put together online.

Ok, well thanks for the heads up. I will probably wait till its closer to when I want to actually buy before I starting doing that level of research.

Thanks for all your input :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back