Looking out for others

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Is it just me or does anybody look out for anyone. My wife always says i get into others peoples business, maybe i do, but you always hear in the news that an old lady was mugged in london at noon on a busy high street, police are looking for witnesses, well didn't anyone step in and help. Why does nobody care about anybody but themselves. sorry this just got to me after reading through the BBC news. I know i just can't help myself when it comes to helping others, it's not a selfless thing, its more like an impulsive reaction. But others it seems do very well staying back and just watching someone getting attacked, mugged, hurt.... is this just me that feels this way?

no, not just you...
had the same experience before... tried helping a friend who had personal problems but all i got was a punch below the belt (not literally) and that was the end of us. haven't spoken to that person since.

It could also hinge around moving from UK to US? Just a thought, culture clash? dunno - hope me don't get flamed for that thought?

Kinda reminds me of the final episodes of Seinfield. When the have to take a emergency landing and they r on the streets and then a fat dude gets mugged and kramer is standing there video taping it and then they get arrested for not helping.

lancer said:
Why does nobody care about anybody but themselves.
I don't feel that's what it is, it's because people daren't get involved.Step in and you'll probably get a knife in you :mad:

shame though. hey Marge? If EVERYONE did step in the bad guys would be easily overpowered and no innocent party could get knifed? I think it is a bit like bullying - I think we all should get involved (and we should all feel bad if we do not) because you have to stand up to bullies.... and I don't think it is heroics, just collective responsibility... and I guess I don't even really think it is different USA to UK.... So I guess I am saying I agree with Lancer....

(Then again I bear a few scars from this kind of involvement, so his wife may also have a point!)

I know but i would rather get hurt/die protecting someone than see some get hurt/die whilst i stand back doing nothing.

What is more noble than standing up for someone that cannot do it for themselves?

lancer said:
I know but i would rather get hurt/die protecting someone than see some get hurt/die whilst i stand back doing nothing.

What is more noble than standing up for someone that cannot do it for themselves?
How would my family feel if I was killed defending a stranger,I refuse to put them through that??? I would do it for them but definately not for someone I didn't know

I have helped people through various patches and phases of life, I am better friends with them now than I was before

lancer said:

Agreed. Marge, I see your point also. I generally try to temper my reaction to these situations as to whether or not I will put myself or my family in danger unneccesarily. Lots of wierdos in the world today, unfortunately. :p

lancer said:
Unless your chemically unbalanced you won't, its a nice ideal tho :)

then i must be chemically imbalanced, i'd never put my family in danger for the sake of a stranger, but i would put myself in danger. See the responses from some people here prove my point, people don't care about anyone but themselves, AND perhaps their immediate family. This will eventually lead to a change in our society, well it already has gated communitys are one obvious example.

you knows whats more strange in all this is that when you do help someone they look at you as either being the same level as threat or a greater level of threat than the person thing that you saved them from, because they are either not used to or did not expect to be rescued.

lancer said:
then i must be chemically imbalanced, i'd never put my family in danger for the sake of a stranger, but i would put myself in danger.
And how many times did you put yourself in danger (fatal danger) solely for the purpose of helping someone who you have no dependance on?
lancer said:
This will eventually lead to a change in our society, well it already has gated communitys are one obvious example.
It was always like this, it will keep being like this.
Look at animals, its the exsact same thing, and as much as people hate to admit that, we are all still, mokeys pretty much :p

lancer said:
See the responses from some people here prove my point, people don't care about anyone but themselves, AND perhaps their immediate family. This will eventually lead to a change in our society, well it already has gated communitys are one obvious example.
So what if I do only care for me and my family?? I will not deny it.
Was a recent case on our local news of a guy hitting his girlfriend in town.A passer by went to help her and SHE punched him in the face.He fell, hit his head and died instantly.Now his 3 small children,all under 9 have to grow up with no father.
And last week,a young lad of 23 tried to break up a fight and was found stabbed to death in an alleyway :mad:
This is why I refuse to do anything

Also as Benny said it has always been like this,I'm 35 and can't remember it ever being any different

In response to benny.

This is totally true happened in Croydon, UK

I once stopped a girl from being kidnapped by two guys posing as undercover police, the police turned up and did not know who these people where (one instance)

I've stopped people being mugged in putney, where knifes where involved

Given my home over to a homeless couple to get them on their feet (before i was married).

So i think i can safely say i am not in the majority here.

Yeah maybe some people will die helping others, but EVIL marge, but put it this way.

If your family where being attacked in the street, kicked punched, mugged whatever, and there where 100's of people milling around and no-one did a thing to help, you would be the first person to bitch about no-one stepping in and helping them. if i was there i would help and i think, i hope others would too?

lancer said:
If your family where being attacked in the street, kicked punched, mugged whatever, and there where 100's of people milling around and no-one did anything, you would be the first god damn person to bitch about no-one helping them stepping in. hmm i wonder what your reply will be?!
You know that for a fact do you??
Actually I have been in a situation like that and I do not blame anyone.It's not up to them to put themselves at risk

well thats the response i expected.

well this wasn't a uno en uno thread, but it all illustrates my point.

Let me clarify my point by saying I don't mind putting myself in harms way for a good or noble reason, but if it looks like a drug deal gone bad, it's not worth it! :p I would also be hesitant to step in if I had my family with me and I thought that by stepping in I would put them in danger. I do not, however, condone inaction. At least call the authorities, which most people can't be bothered to do these days either. Moral of the story...walk softly and carry a firearm! :cool:

ThePatriot said:
At least call the authorities, which most people can't be bothered to do these days either.
I agree with that,did it last week when there was a guy pestering the old man next door :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back