Looking for Soundcard with stereo outputs(RCA)

Y

yellowvw99

I'm making a stand alone music jukebox to play just music, instead of using my old CD 100+ CD player. However, I've been trying to find a soundcard with RCA jacks (outputs) for true stereo sound instead of using a Y splitter out of the back of the soundcard. Are there any left to purchase? Or is splitting my only option. I also heard of a inline devise(can't remember there name)which might do the same. Can I hear from any sound experts.

Thanks

Jeff

your gonna want a creative car with a live drive, you can get a cheaper SB Live! with a live drive for about a 100 bucks or you can get an audigy with a live drive for about 200

http://www.creative.com

does sharing the common ground wire affect audio quality or something? curious.

Just buy a mini sterio to RCA audio converter for a few bucks at best buy or some place

ahem, QT.. :p
Originally posted by yellowvw99
However, I've been trying to find a soundcard with RCA jacks (outputs) for true stereo sound instead of using a Y splitter out of the back of the soundcard. Are there any left to purchase? Or is splitting my only option.

Re: Re: Looking for Soundcard with stereo outputs(RCA)

Originally posted by taurus
ahem, QT.. :p
Didnt read the whole thing my bad

i use a splitter, which i think dumbs down the quality.

i stole it from my middle school like 5 or 6 years ago and it sat in the closet forever.. until about a year ago, when i hooked my computer up to my stereo after finding the cable in my old Vans Old Skools. I also found a quarter and a guitar pick!!

The jacks make no difference as to if it is stereo or not. All sound cards output in stereo. There is no need for a 'splitter', unless you are planning to send the sound to 2 different recievers. But you did say standalone. Basically you need an 'adapter', it's not splitting, it's just changing the jacks.

http://www.listen.com/faq.jsp?sect=tools&subsect=hstereo

I agree with Gus K, the jacks really don't matter.

The only thing I would consider if you get a 1/8" to RCA adaptor would be to try to match the metal to the metal in your sound card. If you have gold contacts in your soundcard's output jack, then get a gold plated adaptor. Dissimilar metals form corrosion over time, although it shouldn't make much of a difference, if at all.

Also, try to get the shortest cable that will reach from your PC to the target device, and keep the cable away from AC power cords.

The quality of the output of the soundcard and the source material plays a big role as well.

Something else to consider: You may have a "ground loop" where your PC is not at the same ground "level" as your target device (due to resistance in wires and poor AC connections mostly). Then you would get a hum. You could isloate the grounds but this takes special cables where there is a signal wire and then there are two ground connections: the shielding and another wire (like the signal wire). The connectors are hooked to certain wires at one end and a certain way at the other end (and it DOES make a difference which direction the are hooked up BTW). But this level of detail is really overkill and not necessary for your hookup unless you are excessively anal.

Taurus: Sharing a ground does not degrade sound at all, unless the outputs of your sound card happen to be balanced (which I VERY highly doubt). If they were balanced, you'd have to have 4 connections instead of 3, and the target device would have to have to accept a balanced signal (isolated grounds). There would have to be a different connection mechanism too; headphone jacks only have 3 connections.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Taurus: Sharing a ground does not degrade sound at all, unless the outputs of your sound card happen to be balanced (which I VERY highly doubt). If they were balanced, you'd have to have 4 connections instead of 3, and the target device would have to have to accept a balanced signal (isolated grounds). There would have to be a different connection mechanism too; headphone jacks only have 3 connections.
roger that. thanks. :)

Originally posted by taurus
does sharing the common ground wire affect audio quality or something? curious.
Nope. Considering the grounds are connected on the PCB about 2mm from the jacks anyway. ;)

yellowvw99: The only one I've seen is my old SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold. It had gold plated RCA jacks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back