Looking for Over the Ear Headphones

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I need some new iPod headphones that will STAY in my ear. I have the default iPod headphones and they fall out all the time at the gym. Anyone have good recommendations for headphones that fit over the ear?

I usually would agree with Lord that sennheiser makes some nice gear but as KCNY mentioned apple, i'm assuming he's using an iPod device. With the apple headphones, it includes the remote functionality (note: remote doesn't work on an iPhone) which can make it more attractive to users of Apple devices.

As for the $79 price tag, that's actually not that bad for a decent set of headphones.

Right but they are similar to the factory headphones with how they fit in the ear. Maybe I can try them in a store, but they need to be snug so they don't fall out when I run or lift.

There is a remote? How does that work?

they don't fit the same was as the factory/included set. These are inserted into the canal of the ear instead of just sitting outside the ear and are generally a much better fit.

Some quick reviews:
http://gizmodo.com/5102091/lightning-review-new-apple-in+ear-headphones?skyline=true&s=x
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10113368-1.html

As for the remote (from apple's site):
The control capsule located on the cable of the right earpiece includes a microphone and three buttons. With this convenient remote, you can adjust the volume, control music or video playback — including play/pause and next/previous — and record voice memos.

note: The remote doesn't work with all devices though
The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models.

edit:
bose? They are a little pricey, but, you won't get anything better ..
My own opinion of course, but I personally don't like bose very much and think you can get a lot better than bose..

Last edited:
I use Shure over-the-ear headphones. Far superior to standard In-the-ear types in my humble opinion. Because they are essentially in place due to the design and also the cable doesn't move around as much as it is "secured" behind the ear, you don't get that "rustling" effect you sometimes get as a result of the cable that runs to the phone.

Plus, while there is no call-answer or skip button for audio and phone, it does have a quite excellent microphone built-in.

There are about 3 or 4 different Shure iPhone headsets (work with other devices too) that you can procure, although they are not cheap.

Right but they are similar to the factory headphones with how they fit in the ear. Maybe I can try them in a store, but they need to be snug so they don't fall out when I run or lift.

There is a remote? How does that work?

The factory headphones SUCK. I have never been in as much pain as when using the absolutely ridiculous Apple stock headset.

The little "button" where the mic is is a call answer/next track remote. Squeeze it and good things happen. Not available on all headsets unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
BOSE is an acronym for buy other sound equipment didn't you know? :p

I use Shure over-the-ear headphones. Far superior to standard In-the-ear types in my humble opinion. Because they are essentially in place due to the design and also the cable doesn't move around as much as it is "secured" behind the ear, you don't get that "rustling" effect you sometimes get as a result of the cable that runs to the phone.

There is a difference between ear-buds like the crap stock apple headphones and in-the-ear (ear canal) headphones. Canal-type headphones do not move around if properly fitted and provide better sound isolation by design.

That being said, Shure headphones are excellent as well and I would recommend them as well as the Sennheiser brand.

I don't necessarily recommend the apple in-ear headphones only because I've never tried them and they are basically brand new (only available since yesterday really!). But they have gotten ok reviews and despite what some people think, aren't that pricey for a decent set of headphones. I mention them only because of the remote functionality that may appeal to an Apple device user.

BOSE is an acronym for buy other sound equipment didn't you know? :p
LOL.. yes, I agree with you. Their headphones aren't as bad as their other audio equipment though. However, their headphones are overpriced.

edit:
Just for the sake of being a bit of an educator and a bit of a troll, here is an excellent write up that summarizes many of the reasons I dislike Bose equipment.

Fitz, BOSE has a very specific market and the fact is, it works quite well. The whole methodology of creating sound by "bouncing off of surfaces" just works for BOSE. Audiophiles may feel that something like Paradigm's signature series or something is better and purer and it's true.

But, for the majority of people, a BOSE system sounds pretty good and the newer 3-2-1 products are top-notch :) The thread you linked is essentially a rant. RCA is a cheap company which makes cheap products. Sony is all about branding as well but it has more money so it has a more diversified portfolio and products from top to bottom.

On topic, BOSE headphones are quite good but I wouldn't recommend them for sports usage.

I heard of some Senheisser in ears with all sorts of different thingers for different ear canal shapes - sounded cool - I do not like over ear if you mean the ones that clip behind the ear - but I am guessing you mean traditional "cans"?

THe headphones I have are sennheiser circum-aural (cans). While the jack is the right size (3.5mm) it doesn't match up with the insides of my iphone headphone port :(

Hmm, some good stuff here. I think I would prefer an over-the-ear though, and for some rockin' out it appears the Apple ones fall short there. I tried a cheap Sony pair for over the ear fit and it felt weird.

The search continues as I don't know if any in-ear would be stable enough. Nothing is more annoying then the buds falling out while exercising.

Hmm, some good stuff here. I think I would prefer an over-the-ear though, and for some rockin' out it appears the Apple ones fall short there. I tried a cheap Sony pair for over the ear fit and it felt weird.

The search continues as I don't know if any in-ear would be stable enough. Nothing is more annoying then the buds falling out while exercising.

I know what you mean. I hate buds, they are more of an annoyance than anything.

for what it's worth derek, I knew a guy once a couple years back who's father was working for an audio/headphone company. I managed to get into a test project and snagged a set of in-ear canal type head phones custom fitted to my ear (got a mold and everything). I can tell you that a well fitting in-ear/canal type headphones (not cheap/generic ear buds) will not fall out. I've run, jumped, biked, hung upside down, and basically any other activity you can think of you do with headphones on and not had them fall out. They finally broke when I was running on a path and had the wire snag on a passing branch which ended up snapping the actual wire while the headphones remained in my ear.

Bottom line: the canal type ear/head phones do take a little more gettign used to since they sit further in the ear than your typical ear-buds and feel a little different.. but a well fitting in-ear shouldn't fall out and you end up getting MUCH better sound isolation than earbuds and usually better than even the noise-canceling headphones

edit: think of the canal earphones as earplugs with speakers.. have you ever used ear plugs when working with loud machinery? how often do they fall out?

edit2: slightly older writeup on some the advantages/disadvantages of canal type earphones (http://www.macworld.com/article/55152/2007/01/canalphones.html).

The thing with in the ear canal type is that it can push the wax back and cause ear infections.

well I had the BOSE ones - they sounded great and didn't fall out too often. My cat got to them and bit through the wire - stupid ****er!

I'm using the stock iPod ones for now. Pieces of crud must have fell out 20 times this morning alone.

I'm not as concerned with sound quality as I am with fit and stability. Nothing more distracting when trying to work out when they fall out so much. I would think Canal would actually be more comfy than over the ear, less intrusive if you could believe it.

It's a shame I have to drop that kinda l00t though to see how they fit. Wonder if they have a pair on demo at the Apple store. Maybe I'll swing through there and check, not sure how much longer my sanity will last with the stock pair :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back