Looking for external HDD/file server.

ming

OSNN Advanced
Hi all,

My mate is looking for an external HDD/file server type device where he can stick a HD on to his home network. I know there are NAS and ethernet HDDs, but there was one device I saw about 1 or 2 years ago which was just an enclosure for HDDs, with wifi and also has the ability to run file sharing apps (if I remember correctly).
I was wondering if you guys could point out where I can find such products. I think ethernet and file sharing capability (such as BT) is what my mate is looking for in these products.

Thanks

Was this it?

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/420/asus_wl-hdd_2
About 2 years ago, wireless, supports FTP, etc.

I researched this last year and it's ugly.
-Multiple vendors, they all seem to use Linux based control software so the HD's need to be formatted other than FAT/NTFS.
-Some formats were actually proprietary (unreadable by any other hardware).
-All I saw had complaints about ease of use.
-There was an after market in shareware firmware upgrades for many of the devices.

Not the clean "home use" product lines you'd expect. It appears the wireless router guys scabbed a HD onto a product or the HD guys scabbed a wireless access point onto their product. Nobody did a clean, ground up approach except for the enterprise guys who charge $500-1000 plus for terabyte type storage centers.

Last edited:
I recently got a Synology DS-106e which I have been very pleased with. It doesnt have built in wireless though. Got it from scan.co.uk

I don't think anything available, short of a barebones PC will support P2P/BT. I was pleasantly surpried it would support FTP.

On the other hand there is a Linksys product, NSLU or something like that, that has pretty sad firmware off the shelf but the hackers have been at it big time and there might be an aftermarket firmware with BT built in. Google some of the support sites on it.

I don't think anything available, short of a barebones PC will support P2P/BT. I was pleasantly surpried it would support FTP.

On the other hand there is a Linksys product, NSLU or something like that, that has pretty sad firmware off the shelf but the hackers have been at it big time and there might be an aftermarket firmware with BT built in. Google some of the support sites on it.

cool... will do.

thanx

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=24

only single drive but supports downloading from Bittorrent. Also the synology I mentioned I bought recently can be modded by the NSLU stuff as well, so you could ipkg a bittorrent client on to it. It has a Windows only Download Redirector which might do BT but I don't know.

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=24

only single drive but supports downloading from Bittorrent. Also the synology I mentioned I bought recently can be modded by the NSLU stuff as well, so you could ipkg a bittorrent client on to it. It has a Windows only Download Redirector which might do BT but I don't know.

nice find.... thanx

Oh, I did come across that Synology one. It is just an enclosure, right?

Last edited:
nice find.... thanx

Oh, I did come across that Synology one. It is just an enclosure, right?

Yep, just an enclosure. The DS-106e is SATA and the 106j is IDE. I'd recommend going with the SATA one if you can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back