looking for a kind of disk imaging solution

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Ok so here are the basics of what I'd like to accomplish:

1. Take a new computer (XP preloaded) and install all the necessary applications on it.
2. Make an image of the disk with those software installations.
3. Replicate the image of the software installations on 80+ new computers.

Since each XP install has its own unique OEM number, I don't want to replace the entire XP OS on each system, just the additional software installations. That way I don't have to install apps one-by-one on each new system. I realize that I'd need to customize the apps on each machine with unique licensing information, etc. Anyhow, this might be wishful thinking but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone knows of something. :)

You just want to install the applications?
XP will already be loaded right?

When you buy the applications liscence them to do a network install. Then just plug each machine up to the network as you're ready to load it and push the software. If the machines are 1 gig ethernet ready it won't be any slwoer than laoding from CD. If they're only 100 meg ethernet, run them in batches overnight.

If you get a corporate license of each program, you can install the same app on numerous pc's .. All you should have to do is make a autorun file of a cd or something and install it the way of one click ..

Not all of our apps are available as corporate licenses. Plus, we already have all of the apps so it's not really a matter of purchasing them in a way that would allow us to do a network install.

Then there is really no way you can get around not doing each one individually.

I think johnny is right but I think you can image each box the way you want and then aquire a new xp license after it's installed

they might even allow a transfer of existing licenses that aren't oem, so if you have xp licenses, they might transfer the imaged oem over to one of your existing licenses, etc

sounds interesiting...give it a go on one of the units

or, I'm thinking maybe if you install xp on it's own partition, apps on a second partition, then export the entire regiatry hive...obviously all the xp's are the same version

I have no idea if that will work, but I'd sure like to find out

Last edited:
perris said:
or, I'm thinking maybe if you install xp on it's own partition, apps on a second partition, then export the entire regiatry hive...obviously all the xp's are the same version

I have no idea if that will work, but I'd sure like to find out

Interesting idea. We'd still be doing additional work, (partitioning the hard drives) but it could be a worthwhile trade-off if it saves us from reinstalling all of the apps manually.

The principles of an unattended install can be applied to program installations as well. MSFN's unattended setup site is a good way to make an unattended install of all the programs. You can make a disc with all the installers and just make a batch file that executes them. If you can't find a switch for the programs that you're installing, try the forums. Someone usually has it.

that is somewhat I meant about the one click install unwonted. The only problem with that is that they will still have to put the keys in seperately. Also, with the way software companies update their programs you would have to make a new one about once or twice a month ..

I'm not sure this will help you, maybe I'm reading your request wrong, but here's what we do.

We setup one system with XP SP2 and all the apps we need, then we run sysprep (located on xp sp2 cd, google it for more) We tell it to sysprep to factory, reboot and then reseal the machine with mini-setup at startup. Now we use ghost to image the machine and we apply that image to all 50 Machines here.

Now when we boot up the just imaged machines we go into a mini-setup. This asks for your XP license number, a local admin password, and network and domain setup, once that is done you can log in as local or on the domain and the computer is good to go, it's setup the same way the orginal machine that the image was made from was. All the apps are there, all the settings, it's just like making a ghost images, except sysprep allow you to enter a different license number for each machine and will create unique SID's for connecting to the Domain.

The difference for us is that we have a corporate license for XP. So i guess for you, it would be a matter of putting in the correct license number and then you would have to activate each machine, but it should still work.

Either way I'd suggest that you check out sysprep, it might be able to make things easier for you. And I apologize if I'm totally off the ball here.

James

jpom, that sounds very promising and I'll look into it. Thanks! :D

It's a geat little tool. We used to have to image a machine, boot it up, enter the ip info, change the machine name, reboot, connect to the domain, reboot, and then setup the users account. Now we image the machine, go through the mini setup which allows us to enter the machine name, ip, domain info. and we log directly into the domain and setup the users account, it's saved use at least 5-10 minutes per machine.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

jpom said:
I'm not sure this will help you, maybe I'm reading your request wrong, but here's what we do.

We setup one system with XP SP2 and all the apps we need, then we run sysprep (located on xp sp2 cd, google it for more) We tell it to sysprep to factory, reboot and then reseal the machine with mini-setup at startup. Now we use ghost to image the machine and we apply that image to all 50 Machines here.

Now when we boot up the just imaged machines we go into a mini-setup. This asks for your XP license number, a local admin password, and network and domain setup, once that is done you can log in as local or on the domain and the computer is good to go, it's setup the same way the orginal machine that the image was made from was. All the apps are there, all the settings, it's just like making a ghost images, except sysprep allow you to enter a different license number for each machine and will create unique SID's for connecting to the Domain.

The difference for us is that we have a corporate license for XP. So i guess for you, it would be a matter of putting in the correct license number and then you would have to activate each machine, but it should still work.

Either way I'd suggest that you check out sysprep, it might be able to make things easier for you. And I apologize if I'm totally off the ball here.

James
looks like this will work to me

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back