Longhorn

C

Cookie

Anybody care to guess, or do you know, the computer specs required to run the new longhorn operating system from microsoft when it comes out in 2005

Dell 5150
Mobile P4 3.06 533mhz
512mb 333mhz ram
30GB HD
ATI radeon 9000 64mb
15" 1600x1200 UXGA Screen
DVD-CDRW

512 meg of ram is given - with all the eye candy it will have.. It is said that it is going to be officially named Windows XPse, have to wait and see ...

It's also quite likely that you'd need a good graphics card, considering that UI will be handled by the GPU rather than the CPU.

Yes >> Dx9.0 device compatible .. but until then I'm sure time will give us sufficient for what requires

I shouldn't think that Longhorn would require a GFX card with more than 64MB at most. There aren't any games out that 'requires' that amount of memory at this point in time. (I might be mistaken.)
I'm pretty sure that 64MB would be a recommended specification more than a requirement.

Originally posted by ming
I shouldn't think that Longhorn would require a GFX card with more than 64MB at most. There aren't any games out that 'requires' that amount of memory at this point in time. (I might be mistaken.)
I'm pretty sure that 64MB would be a recommended specification more than a requirement.

Never know what's going to happen by 2005 ;)

we will have all been assimilated by the borg by the end of 2004... or perhaps I just need to get some sleep :confused:

Originally posted by ming

On the contrary, I've read that a 128MB card will be needed to run the OS in its most advanced configuration. This from a great Longhorn preview site:
"The bare minimum Longhorn system will have to be able to display at least 1024 x 768 with 32-bit color, and it must include a hardware accelerated 3D video card with at least 64 MB of RAM. But this is the base requirement: To take advantage of the fun eye candy Microsoft has planned, you'll need advanced video hardware with at least 128 MB of RAM."

Screenshots and an in-depth preview available here.

Sounds excessive. It'll mean alot of people having to upgrade many parts. All windows XP needed really was plenty of ram on an half decent computer. If you've a graphics card thats 128mb which is working entirely for the operating system it doesn't leave much for gaming!

As I said, we just have to wait and watch.
If the requirements are beyond what my laptop currently supports, I'll just stick to XP until I feel it's time for a new machine. XP does the job just fine, and it's been extremely stable in my experience. :)

We'll never know until it comes out. I mean XP can boot off a 300MHz machine with 64mb memory, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.. but it is possible.

There are always going to be "minimum" specs in peoples minds that differ from what the real absolute bear minimum is, I would imagine that most of us here wouldn't dream of running XP on sub-256mb or even 512mb memory.

All that "eye candy" is just going to bog down the system..

Probably, but they have created a new way in which the opearting system handles it's windows and things on display, requiring less resources, Of course as I've said before, we'll never know until we've been to the store and have a copy in our hands, or at least until the RC builds are ready.

Care loads. I'm sticking to good old windows 98 with 98LitePro, fastest windows ever!

Originally posted by 03bigMark03
Care loads. I'm sticking to good old windows 98 with 98LitePro, fastest windows ever!

98lite huh ??? How about XPLite :)
  • www.litepc.com

new images of Longhorn interface

Visit the link I posted earlier in this thread, and check the most recent addition to the site, "Windows Longhorn Aero Gallery." There are some new screenshots of the interface, and it looks great!

the only people i know with all the eye candy running everyday are the ones who dont know how to turn it off. everybody who knows how to disable things like "transparent windows" does, it just wastes memory. Unless your some jerk with 1gig, then your a smart jerk, and i want to be you. I just wonder why they're working on a new platform, I havent noticed anything that would really NEED work done. Longhorn is just going to be a cracked out win98se, just like XP. whats the point, really?

well from what Ive heard and read... Longhorn wont be a pain in the @$$ for memory OR GPU memory/use... even in its current state, its supposed to use next to no memory (hmm... dont know about that, but hey, that is what they say)
and as for vid cards... you could run it with less than a 128Mb card, but it wont give you the über eye-candy, you will instead have the same core things with less graphics intensive things (called Teir 1) have the 128 Meg, you say? in that case, you get all the grüviness (Teir 2)

and even though the OS will do a number on the video card before even running something intendidly graphics intensive (as in gaming or 3D rendering)... I would assume the insane usage will be temporarily turned off somehow, but since Longhorn advertizes a layered atmosphere rather than single plane with loaned screen-estate...who knows

I guess just have to wait to figure out what sexiness (or armageddon) is brought by it :D

by the way... I may not have had any idea what I was talking about up there... might want to check this place out for actual factual information (lol)Longhorn Goodness

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back