Longhorn - six new fonts revealed

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Beginning in 2006, Microsoft says it will ship with its operating system and other software products six brand new typefaces created especially for extended on-screen reading.

The new ClearType Font Collection incorporates improved ClearType and OpenType technologies, and a boatload of research, to improve the structure and the clarity of the letter forms. Basically, that means a story will be easier to read because the letters and words won't be as soft and mushy looking.

The Microsoft collection includes two serif, three sans serif, and a monospaced face for use in programming environments. They are intended to be text typefaces as opposed to display faces that are used in larger sizes for headlines. Some of the new fonts are suitable for print as well as on-screen applications.
Read the full article with more information about each of the fonts. For a preview of the fonts, see this link.
They look beautiful! I really want to start using them (especially Consolas) now. :D

Woo, yet more fonts people can put into web-pages that not everyone can use. Just what we need.

Well, they are OpenType fonts, so they can be installed on any system. Moreover, most of the fonts we see on the web today, including Verdana, Trebuchet MS, Arial, Courier New etc. are Microsoft's core web fonts anyway.

Looking nice. Yeah most fonts used on the web are ms fonts, fortunately just about every os supports TTF and so on.

I like em, but am not quite as obsessed about it as those guys.

There must be a folder somewhere that will let us download them.

Electronic Punk said:
I like em, but am not quite as obsessed about it as those guys.
Hehe, Poynter is a journalism site. That's the reason they obsessed with typography. ;)

Lee said:
There must be a folder somewhere that will let us download them.
I highly doubt they're available online right now. I'm not even sure we'll see them in the milestone build that's due at the WinHEC.

The 6 new fonts called Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia & Corbel are being installed by default on Windows© Code Name "Longhorn" Build 5048. But to give the users on XP and older also a taste of it, we have zipped the files which you can download here.

These fonts are incredible sharp and a must have.

-ZoRoNaX
Download :)

gah!!! Looks like I am downloading them on dialup :( .9KB/s *sigh*

zeke_mo said:
I just redownloaded them to test the speed. Got a constant 487 KBps.

zeke_mo said:
Weird, I just got it at 88 KB/s. Nice fonts, thanks for the linky, NetRyder.

I am on dialup :p currently on 14.4, dont know where my other .2KB/s went :s

4.4MB/sec took 5 seconds to get them :D

Now to use them in a web page and piss every on on earth off :D

LordOfLA said:
4.4MB/sec took 5 seconds to get them :D

Now to use them in a web page and piss every on on earth off :D
Ha I beat you by a secound! :p

Attachments

• long_horn_fonts.jpg
    long_horn_fonts.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 85
Hell it took me a few secs, that's all. And no, I didn't time it. Sheeeesh. :p

They are nice, but the Candara and the Corbel are the ones me likes. Not so smooshed like the others and not so damn bold either. They're rounder and spread out a touch. :)

Oh... Thanks for the D/L NetRyder. I won't ask where ya got them from. Maybe the same place that Wallpaper came from... outta thin air. :rolleyes: :p

gonaads said:
Oh... Thanks for the D/L NetRyder. I won't ask where ya got them from. Maybe the same place that Wallpaper came from... outta thin air. :rolleyes: :p
Hehe, well the wallpaper did uh...come outta thin air. ;)
The fonts, on the other hand, are right there in the 5048 build that we received at WinHEC.

Is this a BBspot story that got reprinted somewhere else?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back