Longhorn - new details emerge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, notice that it says recommended specs, rather than minimum requirements.

So, 500MHz is the recommended, not the minimum for XP, the minimum is like a 266MHz or something and 64MB of RAM. I can't even imagine how terribly slow XP would run on that.

If people feel that there are significant advantages to upgrading, they will. If not, it's not the end of the world. XP's lifecycle won't end until a few years after LH goes gold.
Nothing to get so worked up about, really. Plenty of people stuck to Win2k (and even 98) after XP was released, and they still do. Nobody's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to upgrade. Do it if you want to; don't if you find it unnecessary. Use Linux if that floats your boat. Simple as that.

"You'll be able to forward event logs to a central location."

I wonder if this is because of the HIPAA compliance that is coming down the road (in April I think)?

NetRyder said:
128MB of VRAM will certainly not be a requirement to run the OS.

The presentation subsystem in LH is going to be multi-tiered. The top-most tier will need a good graphics card that's DX9-compliant and supported by the new driver model (LDDM). This will be the fancy tier, with all the animations, shadows, alpha-blending (and whatever else is planned) turned on. There will be other tiers below that with less demanding requirements. The lowest tier will quite possibly be a XP-like UI (think of it as the "Windows Classic" of LH). It's a similar concept to the "Best Performance" vs. "Best Appearance" settings in XP, but with much more marked differences between the different tiers.

Like I said, I was BS'in, but thanks for the info :p

NetRyder said:
...Nobody's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to upgrade.

They are....I've said too much *runs*

Eventually, I think that Longhorn will do good things for the PC market a year or so after it's released. I think a lot of people are more interested in what they see physically on the computer screen, opposed to what is present inside of the computer case. So a new operating system with a new (hopefully nice) GUI and new features might be what leads many people to buying new PCs. I'm certain there are many people who are putting off upgrading until Microsoft's new OS is released. Also, there's the intimidation factor for some people when they think about upgrading Windows on their computer. If those types of people really want Longhorn, then there's a good chance they'll buy new PCs, too.

I am really looking forward to this. I am hoping as well they come up with a better theme. I don't like that theme in the pics at all.

I agree, whistler theme was the best one. I am talking about the classic desktop one, not the watercolor ..

I dont know if I will get LH right when it comes out. Probably wait awhile for reviews and benchmarks etc. come out. Look like a whole new OS to get lost in :)

Love the GUI on there. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Can't wait for Longhorn :)

I think they mispelt Paul Thurrott's NDA, so it stands for Does Not Apply. Hah!

Wanna know whats funny? If we linked to this article on the frontpage and included some of this material, MS would contact me and tell me to remove it as it is a breach of NDA - they have done this to Neowin several times.

Luna said:
Love the GUI on there. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Can't wait for Longhorn :)
I didn't think it was bad at all either. They just need to kill the purple though. Make those parts blue as well. But as I said, it's almost surely going to change before RTM day. Let's see what they can do with it. :)

Electronic Punk said:
I think they mispelt Paul Thurrott's NDA, so it stands for Does Not Apply. Hah!

Wanna know whats funny? If we linked to this article on the frontpage and included some of this material, MS would contact me and tell me to remove it as it is a breach of NDA - they have done this to Neowin several times.
Hehe true. :p
As long as we get the goodies though, who cares who posted it. And as muzikool pointed out earlier in the thread, Paul does have a nice way of presenting everything, so it's fun to read (most of) his stuff.

well can't wait to see the new ways of crashing :p if loghorn crashes im switching to mac and linux... or maybe just bare with it :p

SPeedY_B said:
Please tell me that I'm not alone in thinking that looks absolutely vile?! Nice features, but the barf-o-rific GUI has to go :D :p

yepper

dave holbon said:
As do the three hundred Attorneys MS employs!

Har! I think most of those are busy chasing teenagers trying to sell academic licences :D I think Longhorn will be pretty good eventually, MS wouldn't dare release something that would have a worse look and feel than their current range.

I downloaded and installed Win Server 2003 if it’s as good as this then all will be well in middle earth.

:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back