Longhorn introduces features for gamers and modders...

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
The first and most comprehensive of the two features is a tool called the Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSat). This is essentially a benchmarking tool designed into Windows, which generates scores based on system performance. It will analyze the graphics subsystem, the processor, the memory, the hard drive and other critical components of the system and calculate a total score. This score can be used to compare your system performance to that of any other Longhorn system.

The system also retains individual and incredibly granular scores on each and every subsystem, and will instruct software components to activate, modify their own settings, or turn themselves off in order to optimize the software for the hardware. This means that, unlike any previous operating system, Longhorn will attempt to adjust its own parameters automatically, to make the most of the performance potential of your hardware.

WinSat will set up two configurations: one for general productivity applications, and one for games. As long as the game developers make the right software call, the system will optimize itself into a generic game configuration so you can approach the most optimized performance possible.
Read the full article: Longhorn's Secret Modder Surprises

Apparently, an initial version of WinSAT is scheduled to appear in the upcoming Beta 1 build. :)

This is awesome, now all we need is built in temperature monitor :)

And built in overclocking support, and built in CPU speed support, and system stability, and system security and...

Oh yeah and a price reduction to $50 for the full Retail Version with no hardware buy required.

Oh yeah and a price reduction to $50 for the full Retail Version with no hardware buy required.[/quote]

:laugh: Dream on!! It would be really Sweet tho, thats for sure.

For the amount of time, investment and effort that goes into developing the most pervasive operating system on the planet, $50 sounds a little too unreasonable to me, personally. Heck, you see these little UI toys, system utilities and other miscellaneous apps selling for over $20 these days...

Unless software prices in general drop quite a bit, $50 for an OS is just silly. :)

Wish they would make the WinSat tool a standalone that you could incorpoate into XP. Just the benchmarking portion. Now that would be cool.

NetRyder said:
Sure. If there was something that could make it possible, I'd be all for it too. ;)

That would be illegal. :rolleyes: :p

Oooo baby! :p

[edit]

O.K. Student discounts. :D

NetRyder said:
*Slaps gonaads*

Hahaha, that just sounds funny :)

I know beta stuff is limited, how did you get hooked up with this in the first place?

That is a cool feature. Makes me want longhorn even more. So, which one fo you is going to give it to me for free ?? :D

I just wish that they would focus on a OS, not a whole system and the crap that some people use. Nothing against anyone, but why does a business need benchmarking tools? Can they trade them out of the system for a credit against office products, not likely.

Again, MS is sticking their nose into things that they shouldn't.

Steevo said:
I just wish that they would focus on a OS, not a whole system and the crap that some people use. Nothing against anyone, but why does a business need benchmarking tools? Can they trade them out of the system for a credit against office products, not likely.

Again, MS is sticking their nose into things that they shouldn't.

Right, but you should be used to that by now. That is Micro$oft for you, they want to rule everything!

kcnychief said:
I know beta stuff is limited, how did you get hooked up with this in the first place?
You mean the LH technical beta, or the stuff I linked to above?

There was a booth at WinHEC 2005 in April this year where I had a chance to sign up to be considered for the Longhorn tech beta. I'm pretty sure that's how I was invited into the program. MSDNAA is a standard subscription that every CS student on campus gets here at UCLA. As for the MSA (Microsoft Student Ambassador) program, I was nominated for it, and will be starting off in Fall this year. That includes an MSDN Universal subscription.

So I believe by around Aug/Sept and onwards, I should have access to two LH beta builds - one from the tech beta, and one from MSDN Universal. As far as I know, the tech beta is the only way one can submit official feedback and bug-reports though. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back