Longhorn Demo Video's

Cool stuff. Things are shaping up very nicely.
smile.gif

this is the "normal" desktop for Longhorn, I did some fishing around, and there's going to be "normal" like WinXP and a 3d enabled desktop. The 3d is going to require DX9 hardware compatibility. Think I found videos of demos on Cnet. Can't be positive

Looking good, nice to see the video showing an activation crack, legitimate releases all the way! :D :D

I'm missing something...I don't see anything but a differant gui...nothing groundbreaking or unique

I'm pretty sure you gurus with the active desktop can do any of that allready

I'l love to see the 3d but remember, most of you will be adjusting the gui "for best performance".

so unless the 3d is "can't do without" most people won't invoke the feature

Think my codecs ain't working so cant see the movie. Can only see the last frame which has the same gui as XP.

perris said:
I'm missing something...I don't see anything but a differant gui...nothing groundbreaking or unique

I'm pretty sure you gurus with the active desktop can do any of that allready

I'l love to see the 3d but remember, most of you will be adjusting the gui "for best performance".

so unless the 3d is "can't do without" most people won't invoke the feature

It's not even alpha, of course there's not a lot new.

The SideBar is a new addition which may possibly turn out to be handy, in my experience using it, it's an annoying piece of sh*t, but as I say.. it's not finished, so we'll see about that one.
The icon zooming (lifted right out of Mac OS) is a nice new addition, the way explorer and the address book handle input is also nicer.

Longhorn has a very very very long way to go before we start to see the real innovations appearing. :) but I agree most people will turn the fancy-crap off.

im not impressed, but was b says, theres a long way to go.
the contacts feature looked good though.

Im liking these vids. Wonder what program is it to take vid of the desktop i see in the videos? :p

Well some of the ideas they have planed for longhorn sound interesting too bad the last time I check they ahd yet to be fully configured

Damn, I like the folder zoom and the picture thingies! I like the effects. B)

nice link kool

except for the file system add on, I see nothing new mentioned concerning the kernel

this looks to me the same as millenium looked to dos...it's a suped up version of xp.

they'll probably increase the 4 gig memory per process limit (currently spit between the kernel and the process), but hardly any process's get to 2 gigs as it is

as far as I can tell, longhorn will be to xp what millenium was to 98

the best analogy is probably this will be to xp what xp is to nt

probably better implementation, then millenium versus dos, ie, it won't suck, (it bettern not) but except for the file system add on, and gui changes, I see nothing new.

I'm still predicting longhorn will fail, and give nothing compelling to justify the upgrade

if the 3d is excellant, I guess that will make us run for it too, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get xp to do whatever longhorn can do

I still think the next great os improvement will have sofrtware based permanent storage

For now, I'll have to go with you and say that it will be to XP what XP was to NT. There's no way that it will be a Millenium to 98, because that was nearly a step backwards.

For those with the right hardware, I think the GUI changes will make it an enticing upgrade. As for businesses, I can imagine many continuing to run XP until MS cuts off the support and forces everyone to upgrade. We'll just have to monitor the progress and see what else of interest comes of it.

A thought...as "Longhorn" is only it's code name...I wonder what the final release will be called?...Windows 2009 or Windows 2010? :p

brodyhooperquint said:
A thought...as "Longhorn" is only it's code name...I wonder what the final release will be called?...Windows 2009 or Windows 2010? :p

It's scheduled for 2006.

For those of you who believe this is going to be just a minor or eye-candy upgrade, think again. You can't judge an OS at it's alpha stages. I suggest you read the whitepapers posted on MSDN. Most of the information here is very technical (not just pretty screenshots), and it should give you an idea of where all this is headed, if you can understand it. A complete API overhaul, for one, is not something that can be considered minor.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/

For those of you who believe this is going to be just a minor or eye-candy upgrade, think again. You can't judge an OS based on leaked alphas. I suggest you read the whitepapers posted on MSDN. Most of the information here is very technical (not just pretty screenshots), and it should give you an idea of where all this is headed, if you can understand it. A complete API overhaul, for one, is not something that can be considered minor.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/

The plans are big. Whether or not everything will/can be implemented remains to be seen.

brodyhooperquint said:

It's scheduled for 2006.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back