Longhorn Beta 1 June 30 ?

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
According to Paul Thurrott and our very own NetRyder we our hearing that June 30th will be the release date of LH beta 1. ? My guess is that it will be more like a pre-beta (post alpha 5048 :( ) semi workable OS minus most of the bells and whistles, and an actual beta 1 workable version won't be out until July-Aug. The delays are typical and I can't see any integration of the TCP/IP Chimney component as its still being held up in the courts. And if not Chimney then what. Alacritech is saying MS stole their architecture for networking and can't display LH to the public at all. Isn't this an essential part of the OS for networking, and if an actual beta 1 was coming out in three weeks wouldn't they be showing up at beta.microsoft.com for testing. Just wondering what others think.

From what I know right now, there won't be a new build available in June.
I'll see if I can find out more.

Just don't blow your NDA :p
Have you got Longhorn on your beta.microsoft.com account mate?
Mine hasn't appeared yet :eek:

No NDA's to blow just yet. :D
No LH builds here either...apart from the 5048 DVD I got at WinHEC.

No links yet, but there is something else.
Look at the page where you can change your address information. ;)

I just applied for the beta program. It said is giving me a guest account. will this get a regular account with them ??

By the way, I'm hearing Beta 1 is now scheduled for mid-July.

just my 2 cents. never try a beta operating system (especially from microsoft lol)

Let's rephrase that. Never try a beta operating system on a production machine. Even Microsoft strongly advises against it. On the other hand, if nobody tried beta builds, you'd end up with horrid, buggy RTM builds. :)

5048 was a decent build. I haven't heard of it killing anybody's system, and it was an alpha. Beta 1 should be quite stable.

I learned my lesson with 4051 and had to reinstall my OS. If you do install on your production PC you should install the beta OS on a seperate partitian, or better yet use a virtual PC program. I always backup my XP Pro before beta installs using Acronis True Image and keep those images on a seperate partitian drives different from your XP Pro and LH beta partitians. As NetRyder said, your best bet is to not install at all on your main production PC, too risky.

NR/EP can LH continue development with the Chimney TCP/IP architecture even with the lawsuits pending Alacritech is saying MS stole their architecture, so doesn't this stop any TCP/IP integration into LH, or is this only for public release product.

I really don't know what the implications of that lawsuit are, to be honest.
I do know that development is definitely still in progress. Beta 1 code-completion is expected towards the middle of this month, followed by a one-month internal testing/QA period, and a beta 1 rollout in mid-July. As always, things are subject to change, but that's what the current schedule looks like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back