Log on screen... and WildTangent

hndlthis

Can you handle this?
Get Ride of Welcome screen

How do I get my computer to not stop at the Log on screen... It shows my account name and I have to click on it to log on to Windows. I never had to do this before. I think it happened after I uninstalled WildTangent... I don't know.

Also, How do I get rid of the WildTangent Control Center? I can't find it in the add/ remove programs...

I don't know about your first problem. Have you tried deleting the WildTangent folder from the drive in which you installed it?

I didnt purposely install Wild Tangent. When I do a search for it on my computer, nothing comes up, but in my Control Panel there is a thing for Wild Tangent. I think it came from the new AIM and I tried to play a game, but then saw that it had wild tangent, so I cancelled the installation. But I guess it leaked through....

I'll give an attachment of the first problem in a little bit... or something. I think windows calls it a 'welcome screen'. I don't want it to show that when I reboot...

If your account is password protected, you'll need to re-set it up to use auto-login using something like TweakUI.

To remove WildTangent, delete the folders C:\WINDOWS\wt and C:\Program Files\WildTangent. Then do a search for wt*.cpl in C:\WINDOWS\system32. You should find one entry. Delete that to get rid of the Control Panel icon.

new 5.5x version of aim kindly installs wildtangent for you I believe :(

I'm pretty sure Spybot will remove it.

Thanks for helping me get rid of the wildtangent thing...

This thing with the windows log on 'welcome screen'... it happened the last time I rebooted... I don't know how it got automatically switched from being an automatic log on to now having to click on my icon to proceed. I didn't change anything. I'm the only one who uses my computer

Nope... I ran spybot and it didn't find anything for wild tangent. But I got rid of it.

hndlthis said:
Nope... I ran spybot and it didn't find anything for wild tangent. But I got rid of it.
I'm sure it can't get everything all the time ... make sure you update definitions before a scan though.

* Edit * - also if you did get it from aim a descent firewall should ask you permission for the wildtangent setup to access the net (did for me i believe and i blocked it - and thus it didn't install).

This is the screen I don't want to have. I never used to have it when I rebooted... how do I not have to click my name to use my computer?

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 342
hndlthis

I had the same prob after applying one of MS patches but this should fix you up.

1. Click on "Start" - then click on "Run" and type "control passwords2"

2. Click OK

3. On the Users tab clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box and click "Apply"

4. Select the user you want to log on (be certain they have Adminstrator privileges) & click OK. A dialog box will appear that asks you what user name and password should be used to logon automatically, just click "OK".

5. Now go to Control Panels / User Accounts, and click "Change the way users log on of off", and untick. This should also untick and grey out "Use Fast User Switching. Click on Apply options. Close all of the windows.

6. Perform a restart to try it out. Note that the close Windows XP dialog box will now appear as a regular Windows dialog box with a scroll list for your selection.

Enjoy, I do.

Iandown :cool:

Iandown said:
hndlthis

I had the same prob after applying one of MS patches but this should fix you up.

1. Click on "Start" - then click on "Run" and type "control passwords2"

2. Click OK

When I click OK, nothing happens...

Correction: control userpasswords2

I struggled to remember that one this morning . . .
. . . but I've just re-discovered that the correct command is:

control userpasswords2

However, I'd also like to know how to get to that dialog through the 'normal' channels - i.e. 'accessories' - 'user accounts' or whatever.

Not a bad first post - eh? :eek:

I think if your computer has only one account, with no password it will automatiaclly log in, I notice this everytime I format. As soon as I put a password on my account it stops logging it automatically, when that happens I use use what MarineBoy said (control userpasswords2, and unclick "users must enter...")

Xie said:
I'm sure it can't get everything all the time ... make sure you update definitions before a scan though.

* Edit * - also if you did get it from aim a descent firewall should ask you permission for the wildtangent setup to access the net (did for me i believe and i blocked it - and thus it didn't install).

The new AIM asks you if you want to install some special features, the features are supported by Wild Tangent. I am not sure if you have to do a custom install to get the option to not install or not. I almost always do a custom install, so I'm not sure.

theophilus said:
The new AIM asks you if you want to install some special features, the features are supported by Wild Tangent. I am not sure if you have to do a custom install to get the option to not install or not. I almost always do a custom install, so I'm not sure.
Newest AIM now installs weatherbug as well :(

It actually forces you to login manually after one of the windows updates is installed.
My user account at home doesn't have a password, but still requires me to click on my username (the only user)

As NetRyder said, the easiest way around this is use TweakUI or Tweak-XP to configure the auto-logon... as I don't know the reg. key off the top of my head!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back