Locking XP Pro.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I work with idiots! They use one of the servers as a workstation and load it down with spyware. We're trying to find a solution that will allow us to keep the full system in place but not allow the users to have access. We tried locking the pc (Window key + L) but too many people know the login password. We tried the screensaver password protect but apparently that password is also the login password. For some dumb reason Windows will not allow me to change the password, even though the both my account and that machines account are in the admin group. I guess what I'm wondering is .... Is there a way to change the screensaver pass or is there an application out there that does something similar but will also allow us to pick our own pass?

Log out of the server, and in with yours. Then change the password?

Another way to change it:

If you are running Windows XP Professional, reset the password in the Local Users and Groups snap-in in Microsoft
Management Console (MMC):

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "mmc" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK to start MMC.
3. Start the Local Users and Groups snap-in.
4. Under Console Root, expand "Local Users and Groups", and then click Users.
5. In the right pane, right-click Administrator, and then click Set Password.
6. Click Proceed in the message box that appears.
7. Type and confirm the new password in the appropriate boxes, and then click OK.

Last edited:
Thanks! This will work but I guess it was the vendor that sets the password and they need to change it. I didn't know that until after I posted. My bad... reps for the effort though!

Why not simply have multiple accounts?

Admin and Regular user profiles?

That way you can limit connectivity and download limits.

Will probably be easier than having to worry about various passwords.

My $0.02.

Sazar said:
Why not simply have multiple accounts?

Admin and Regular user profiles?

That way you can limit connectivity and download limits.

Will probably be easier than having to worry about various passwords.

My $0.02.

Excellent points, though the bottom line should be never use a server as a desktop.... :) and in most cases, vice versa.

Mastershakes said:
Excellent points, though the bottom line should be never use a server as a desktop.... :) and in most cases, vice versa.

We've told them that.... for ages. Like I said up top ... IDIOTS!!

.....Are you using XP Pro as a server?

Multiple accounts are the way to go, like Sazar said. But, you should also NOT use XP as a server.

It's a server right? Which means it's always on. Take the keyboard and mouse and lock them in a file cabinet. If a new keyboard and mouse appear lock them up too. Eventually even the idiots will get the idea.

Thinking about it lock the monitor cable up too.

I saw you on T.V. You'r the guy who works with all those monkeys.

I always feel bad for you when I see that advertisement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back