Locking out the computer/making a jukebox out of it.

M

Mithrandir

A little background first:
I'm off to university next year, and planning to party like mad. I've got a nice rig, and a good soundsystem lined up, but I'd like to be able to...partyproof my computer a bit. When I heard about MS Media Edition and its "Jukebox" mode for WMP9, I thought that would be perfect. But I don't really want any of the other features it provides, and I don't want to spend the money on it for one little feature.

What I liked about it was that the computer was locked in that the files couldn't be accessed, and the music couldn't be deleted, yet the songs could still be changed. I suppose a quick fix would be to start music playing and just start up a screensaver or something, but I'd prefer to be able to allow people to change the song or add to a playlist.

Is there anything shareware or freeware out there that'll do this? Or maybe a cheaper proggy than the MS one?

Thanks guys.

I'm not entirely sure what you want... but would it be an idea to set NTFS rights on your MP3 folder to "read only"?

Regards,
Willem Moolenaar

No, not really.

The feature I'm looking for essentially put up a visualization on the screen like a screensaver. It had a little control box on the bottom corner than would slide up when the mouse was moved. This allowed you to change the song etc, but you couldn't delete anything. To get back to full operation of the computer, you'd have to enter a password.

Aww hell. I guess I can just quickswitch user and let people live without the ability to pick songs.

someone in the winamp community has to have thought of something like this...this type of thing is way to common on college campuses not to have been done I will look but you should look there too...gotta be able to have a screensaver that can change songs

ow... okay... get it now...

Not sure if this helps, but have you tried the Media Player Bonus Pack tool MPXP Tray Control?

Not sure if its what you're looking for, but worth a shot.

Regards,
Willem Moolenaar

DJ2000. www.215tech.com The player has a Party mode that only allows you to add to the play list. You can not remove from the play list and you can not stop or skip songs. There is a secret key combo to remove it from the play mode. DJ2000 is the player that I have used for years and I love it. The ability to search the library by name, genre and much more is great. Hope this helps...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back