Lock the Master Volume

dubstar

format c:
i'd like to lock the Volume on WinXP.. my cousin is coming to live with me for a while and she likes her punk loud. I would like to know if there is a way to lock the master volume.

Group Policy editor maybe??

Start, Run, type in "gpedit.msc"

That's the only place I would think any option might be.

Turn everything up as high as it will go on the software side, ie windows sndvol32 and winamp/whatever then hide the main hardware control (amp/speakers whatever) or somehow cut it off from outside access, tape it up or something like that :)

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
... tape it up or something like that :)

Tape it up??? :p

dubstar, first things first... how versed in computer sh!t is yer cousin???

If not much, I have a solution. But you will suffer also. :rolleyes:

O.K. :rolleyes: Open "Control Panel" then click open "Sounds and Audio Devices". The open window will of course have the "Volume" tab opened for you to see. At the bottom of the window is "Speaker Settings", click the "Advanced" button and set the "Speaker setup" for "No Speakers". :eek: :p

heh, i meant tape/fix something over the volume control making it un-reachable.
If you hide the volume control from the systray most people dont know where to find it.
BUT even with that limited you can still turn the amp/speakers up.

well the problem is, different programs change different volumes... for instance, Kazaa's volume changes the master volume, and another program (cant think of it) changes the WAV(mp3,rm,ect) volume.. i just want to set a max on the master volume...

also, i do not have external volume control. only on the software side..

and i do not have "gpedit.msc"

Whats the sound coming through? if you have no external control then surely it cant go -that- loud anyway?

well with the master volume, the wav volume, and the mystery WinAmp volume it gets loud enough to destroy the speakers i have and disturb the neighbors.

Hrm, I think that your best bet is to do as gonaads suggested and just kill it off. But it does depend how computer savvy this person is, and if they can figure it out and get the noise back :)

she knows her computers..

kazaa controls Master Volume

realone controls Wav volume

windows media player controls a mystery volume

quicktime controls a mystery volume

winamp controls a mystery volume

divX player controls a mystery volume

What is this mystery volume control?? where is it??

also, i cant turn off my speakers, i listen to all kinds of radio station with these puppys.. i'd feel deaf.

the mystery controls are usually the wave control, they just sont move the actual slider on the sndvol32 display.
They can never go above that of the Master volume anyway

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back