Localhost

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
A friend has ask me to get a forum going for her, which I did. What I need is a way to test hack/mods before they go live (so I don't break it). What all do I need to run a copy from my PC? (links would be nice and maybe a lil instruction) :s :p

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I'll look into both my next day off, Wednesday :(

I have run phpBB forums before, and I know OSNN member Heeter also uses it extensively. Perhaps one of us could help if you run into problems with it :)

I've been running it for about a month now. BUT since this is the first time I've done actually run a forum, I don't want to modify any files without testing first and ya can't test on a live site :s

I might just take you up on the offer if I fail miserably :( Thanks

I can't resist...

Make sure to back up the forum database before doing anything. I hear it's common practice on other forums. ;)

mmm, always backup the DB

actually if you have mysql on your local system as I think xamplite installs then do the backup of the live site and put it on your local system. Then you 1 have a live site backup and 2 can make sure that any changes you make shouldn't break the live site :D

xamplite looks pretty sweet, I had never heard of it before GM's post.

I don't have a use for it specifically, but still seems really neat. Might help me with something I'm thinking about doing very shortly.

If you haven't yet done it, you would have to install phpBB and configure it to run off the xamplite server.

kcnychief said:
If you haven't yet done it, you would have to install phpBB and configure it to run off the xamplite server.
:eek: this will be confusing

first you need to download the files for phpBB and put them in the right place for xamplite to be able to serve them.

Next create a user account on your installation of MySQL for the phpBB system. Set the connection details (username, password and database name) in the right phpBB configuration file. (it might have an installer for this in which case run the installer).

Once phpBB is running you need to download a database backup of the live forums and then insert that backup into your MySQL phpBB database. Then you should have a local version of the live forums running on your system.

once you've installed xampplite you should be able type http://localhost/xampp in a browser and it will come up with the xampp tools.

Locate the directory you installed it to and go to \xampp\htdocs. In this directory install phpbb2 (in a sub directory), which probably consists of unzipping the files into that directory and then in your browser go to http://localhost/phpBB2/install/install.php and follow instructions

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back