• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Local cable companies now offering phone service ??

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
The local cable companies in my area are now offering phone service through the cable lines. This a for a lot lower price than the phone service through Verizon, and the others of course.

Ie; My local cable company has theirs for $29.99 a month and it includes everything. Verizon is $70.00 a month for everything. This is not voip - Does anyone else area offer this now ???

ejn74

Folding Master!
Political User
the cable company has it for the same price you mention. we have had it it the area I am in for the last year.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Yeah, places in MA have been doing it forever now too. Each company uses it as a marketing tool so you only have one bill for everything.

X-Istence

Political User
The local cable companies in my area are now offering phone service through the cable lines. This a for a lot lower price than the phone service through Verizon, and the others of course.

Ie; My local cable company has theirs for $29.99 a month and it includes everything. Verizon is $70.00 a month for everything. This is not voip - Does anyone else area offer this now ???
Not VOIP? Weird, mine is VoIP. And it is through the cable company as well. The VoIP stuff is handled by the modem itself, which will put a stop on the upload/download when the phone is being used, a drop of about 20 kb/sec either way. My cable box has an internal cable company only IP address as well, which it uses to retrieve the channel data and whatnot, I found that out when I plugged into the serial port on the back of the box. Runs an changed version of OpenBSD.

Cablevision currently has their special for a year, $30 for each service:

$30 for Cable + iO ($10 + $5 (* HBO, STARZ and others))
$30 for Phone
$30 for Internet

After that it goes to:

$50 for Cable + extra's
$34.99 for Phone
$40 for Internet

Really neat.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
nip, it's not voip. there is no modem for it or anything; they run the line to the telco box and the phones get hooked up the same as usual ...

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I think it may be VOIP but the whole hookup is in that telco box. I seem to remember a friend mentioning something like this, it is easier for Mr. and Mrs. Electronic-Illerate, to them its a regular phone line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies