Local Area Connection error message

G

Gottago

When I try to see the properties for my Local Area Connection
I get a popup window "an unexpected error occurred" never showing me the properties. Also I do not see the network icon in the system tray

OS is XP Pro
My network seeme to be functioning properly.

I see this message whether I used the onboard LAN or when I select the PCI NIC installed.

Any help appreciated

--marc

Welcome to the boards Gottago, please stay! ;)

That's sounds odd. Since it's both NIC:s I guess reinstalling the drivers won't do much (have you tried?). All I can think of right now is if the correct services are started. Like Network and such.

You can turn the toolbar ICON off in the network properties area so don't sweat that it's missing. It's probably just a symptom of the error message.

I'd say uninstall and reinstall the connections but... You need to get into properties to do that.

Have you tried accessing properties both ways:

1). Through Control panel - netwiork - right click conenction -properties.

2). Through Control panel - System - hardware -device manager - network adapter - right click adapter and select properties.

Using the second method you should still be able uninstall the adpater hardware then reinstall it even if the drivers/services are corrupted.

If that doesn't work you can uninstall all the network services tcpip, etc and then reinstall the entire network.

OR

The shortcut. If the properties page was acessible recently go back to an old restore point. Windows will do the repair for you.

an oddball answer, but if your using a custom theme, go back to a default 1 and try again, probably not related, just seen a simular thing in the past :).

When I try to see the properties for my Local Area Connection
I get a popup window "an unexpected error occurred" never showing me the properties. Also I do not see the network icon in the system tray

OS is XP Pro
My network seeme to be functioning properly.

I see this message whether I used the onboard LAN or when I select the PCI NIC installed.

Any help appreciated

--marc
I just fixed this problem! I have a Linksys BEFDSR41W on its side with two LANs to a notebook & desktop. It kept blinking the power off every few minutes and dropping the connection. I just placed it horizontal a few days ago and haven't disconnected since. Hazaa!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back