Live webcam

Ezergeezer

OSNN Addict
Does anyone know how to set up a live webcam at home which I can view
remotely when I'm at work work.

I do not want to go through a webcam provider.

I believe SPeedY_B had a piece of software, I don't know what it was called, but I am sure he has it.

*wonders why when hes at work he wants to watch a webcam set up at home and where at home* ;)

lad_in_brum said:
*wonders why when hes at work he wants to watch a webcam set up at home and where at home* ;)
*wonders what he is takling about* :unsure:

lad_in_brum said:
Now that's a good question :D

Ezergeezer Pm'd me regarding this, so I answered via reply, but as Marge says, there's software linked on camportal :)

Hey Speedy, I checked out the page and have downloaded Fwink
a neat little webacam proggy, but I cant seem to get the ftp right to get pic
in my webspace.
I think its the Directory path not sure what it's supposed to be.
Any ideas?

Here's what I'd have mine set to as an example:

FTP Server: ftp.camportal.co.uk
User Name: ******
Password: ******
Directory: htdocs/
File Name: cam.jpg

directory on my other host would be "public_html/" depends on what your host is running and how things are setup. One way of checking is to ftp in to your host using a normal FTP client (http://filezilla.sf.net is a good free client) and check what folder you have to go into before getting to the public files.

No Joy

This is what I have

FTP Server: dslftp.dsl.pipex.com
Directory: webcam/
File Name: webcam.jpg

Still cant figure it out!

Dont know what you mean by 'Public_html', I have my own webspace,
I have created a folder in the root directory called 'webcam', to which I'm pointing the jpg file I think!

Ah, you're using ISP web-space, you probably won't have the initial sub-folder then.

That all seems right, you should be able to access that via http://domain.name/webcam/webcam.jpg

you may want to try putting a forward-slash before the directory, /webcam/ see if that works. Other than that, have you tried enabling/disabling the "Use Passive FTP" option?

Grrrrr

Totally dumb founded mate, tried all you said, didnt work. I feel
sure it's something to do with the path and directory, so I placed
an image in the 'webcam' folder and typed in what the address is
and it's shows the piccy, so why cant I point the ftp in right direction to
pump the piccy there!

This is what I have

FTP Server: dslftp.dsl.pipex.com
Directory: http://www.apaw03.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/image.jpg
File Name: image.jpg

Help :confused:

When you FTP in with a normal client, is the webcam folder in the first folder you come to?

No, it's a folder created from the root, apaw03.dsl.pipex.com/webcam

When I choose root as in www.apaw03.dsl.pipex.com, this goes straight my
website, therefore I assume what I put in the previous post was right!

Thanks for spending so much time on this.

I'm at a loss then. The only thing that I can think of would be ticking the 'use passive ftp' option.

Thanks

Thanks mate, I'll keep trying, I tried the passive ftp option too, still nothing.

Problem is that I don't have a Windows box to play with (actually, I do, it's not set-up though, and I gave my web-cam away) so I'm trying to remember Fwink from memory.

I can't remember if it gives you a detailed error when you hit the take picture button or not? If you continue to have problems give Dogrem a try (http://dorgem.sf.net) it's very similar, nice and easy to use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back