Live for windows? The end for PC gaming?

HellyHans

OSNN Addict
What's the deal with Live for windows..
As I understand.. in the future, if you want to play a game online, you must subscribe to LIVE to play it??

Is it only if I want to be able to play with Xbox players also?

example: I buy any game and I want to play online.. I won't be able to play unless I'am PAYING microsoft for the Live service?

1: I'am buying the game, which should give me all rights to the access of that game.
2: I'am paying microsoft just to be able to play online?

How did software developers agree on Microsoft making money off their titles!

Am I'am getting this whole LIVE thing wrong?

Is it just for people who have PC games and want to be able to play with Xbox players online?

Personnally, if I have a PC game,i'am going to play online with players that have PC games, I don't care about the Xbox players, why would I want to pay to be able to play with them?

I think it is the interconnection of PC and xbox.
Its gonna be such an advantage to the pc guys though :)

well, I don't think alot of the PC people are going to get on the boat..
Who cares about being able to play with the xbox people?
there are alot more PC players in the world than consoles, so unless you want to be able to view who's online on your cell phone and be able to view scores and also be able to get an instant message on your phone when your friend is online, its just not that important.

Because since Live anywhere is suppose to merge MSN,cell phones,xbox live and PC's together.Who would want to be really connecter to everything at once??

I don't think true hardcore gamers would be interested because most of them are sold to one product.. either the PC or a console.

So... I dunno... any opinions???

Me thinks they will have a huge turnout
for people like me, who dont want to waste money on a console, but have an awesome computer, its a chance to play the semi-nerds with no understanding of tech, thus they get an xbox not a pc :)

But why would you want to pay to be able to play with the semi-nerds than play for FREE with the nerds?? :D

I coulda sworn that u didnt have to pay, and u prolly wont at first.
Like free 3 month subscriptions with like Halo 3.
:)

Live for Windows Vista will be the same exact price for Vista as it is for the Xbox 360. Just like with the Xbox 360 there will be a free Silver package as well as a Gold package which retails for $49.99 for a year subscription, $7.99 for one month, and $19.99 for three months.
Gamers who already have an Xbox Live Gold Membership will have already subscribed. Xbox Live membership works on the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Live for Windows. Gamer tag and achievements will be used across both Xbox and Vista PCs. Upcoming Vista games will include achievements and will be able to add to your gamer score. [3]

I can't find details on what the free silver package contains yet

What's the deal with Live for windows..
As I understand.. in the future, if you want to play a game online, you must subscribe to LIVE to play it??
example: I buy any game and I want to play online.. I won't be able to play unless I'am PAYING microsoft for the Live service?
Only if the game is Live-enabled.
If the game studio decides to implement its own multiplayer system, you'll play on their terms as far as pricing and other rules/regulations go.

Is it only if I want to be able to play with Xbox players also?
Yes, or other PC games who are playing the same game on the Live network.

How did software developers agree on Microsoft making money off their titles!
They don't. There are costs associated with developing a scalable custom multiplayer system. There are costs associated with maintaining the servers for this system. Live has already been around since the original Xbox, and is basically being opened up to PC game developers now so that they can leverage the existing system if they don't want to spend the time and resources to develop a custom multiplayer system from scratch and host the entire infrastructure themselves.

So when you buy a game, the revenues go to the game developers for developing the game itself. When you subscribe to Live, you're paying Microsoft to maintain this massive multiplayer infrastructure.

What "Live for Windows" enables is a scenario where a game studio could release the game for the PC and Xbox 360 (and other partner platforms in the future) and everyone could play online together, regardless of the platform they're on. So EPIC could, for instance, release Gears of War for the PC, and you could then join the Xbox 360 community for a frag-fest. :D

Hope that cleared things up. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back