Little slow down after tweaks

P

PlagueWielder

Hey

I used a couple of tweaks for the registry and after they were all done I noticed a small slow down of the computer. The computer has XP Pro.

Here are the tweaks I used:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SessionManager/MemoryManagement/IoPageLockLimit

Modify the value in Hex depending on the size of your RAM

RAM: modified value(Hex)
64M: 1000;
128M: 4000;
256M: 10000;
512M or more: 40000.
Reboot.

I dont know if this is it but I didnt have that 'IoPageLockLimit' key so I added a new dword and labled it 'IoPageLockLimit' and then changed the value in Hex to 40000.

NOTE: I have 512 MB of PC2100 DDR.

---------------------------------------------------

2. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Changed 'DisablePagingExecutive' to: 1

Changed 'LargeSystemCache' to: 0

My question is if anyone knows which one of the tweaks might have caused the slowdown so I can remove it.

Thanks in advance :)

remove both and see if the speed increases. then, just try one at a time and see which one has an effect on the speed

The IOPageLockLimit tweak is known to have no effect in XP.
It's mostly the DisablePagingExecutive and/or the LargeSystemCache values.

I used a couple of tweaks for the registry and after they were all done I noticed a small slow down of the computer.
If you noticed it, it's a pretty major slowdown. Yank both those tweaks.

Agreed, IoPageLockLimit is known to not do anything.

Your LargeSystemCache value should be at zero, you shouldn't have had to change anything for that.

DisablePagingExecutive set to 1 loads the kernel into memory instead of paging it to disk. With 512MB of RAM that should be OK.

Have you not defragged lately or done anything else that might of slowed the system?

DisablePagingExecutive doesn't do much on large-memory systems - most pageable code in the os will likely stay in ram regardless, even without this setting.

my opinion is that when the os wants to page it means that resources are lying around doing nothing, and they are being wasted if they aren't written to disc.

LargeSystemCache is mostly not a good thing to do either...

this wil set the maximum size of the system working set (which includes the file system cache) to about 80% of RAM.

ha, that means only about 20% of your RAM will likely to be available for programs!!!

mostly, you want to avoid this situation, yes?

everyone knows the system trims the system working set (and all working sets btw) well below the maximum when it becomes necessary.

this will only happen when under extreme memory preasure.

you're already noticing severe slowdowns by now!!

now, with LargeSystemCache set to 0, this will set the upper limit of the system working set to about 5% of RAM.

see?

if you have plenty of memory, you want the working set to be allowed to grow beyond the "maximum".

in low memory conditions, these extended working sets are brought back to the normal"maximimum" and this will happen before the more drastic reclaim measures are taken by the is...such as shrinking working sets below their maximum.

for the most part, LargeSystemCache should be used on servers with a veryy stable workload...hardly any program activations or shutdowns once it's running, etc.. the systems that the file cache is the most important use of physical memory.

for instance, web servers should experiment with this setting

otherwise, it's counterproductive for the vast majority if users...and even counterproductive for some servers also, and these need to experiment, and not just apply the setting and walk away

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back